How to make it go faster?

Hello. I have an interesting problem. I will be receiving a 1999 Hyundai 4 door, sedan, with 122330 miles on it. It’s free but comes with a catch: it doesn’t go faster than 55 mph.

The problem is in the transmission we are told by the previous owners.

So what can I do, if anything, to make it go faster, for say I-90.

Well, since it’s free, you can afford a rebuilt/new transmission for it, should fix it right up.

So it’s not something I could do w/o a mechanic? I’m willing to do work on it on my own, I’m just wondering how easy it’s going to be.

So it’s not something I could do w/o a mechanic? I’m willing to do work on it on my own, I’m just wondering how easy it’s going to be.

Most likely, not easy, and you probaly do not have the right tools. Top gear is probably out and I would budget $500 or so with a good maechanic or transmission shop. An alternativ eis to get a good transmission out of a low mileage wreck.

Does the transmission shift normally through the first 3 gears? Is this a matter of not shifting into Overdrive?
If so, you might have a trans shop scan this thing. It may be nothing more than an electrical switch or solenoid problem.

I just don’t see why a transmission would keep a car from going faster than 55 mph. Maybe something to do with overdrive, but I don’t believe that would stop it from going over 55.

What does it do (sounds etc.) when you try to go over 55? I think you need someone to give you a second opinion and with the possible exception of the overdrive (thank OK for that suggestion) I just don’t understand.

If it’s not the transmission, it may be the engine performance is so poor, from a lack of routine maintenance, that 55 mph is its limit. Stuff to do: change the spark plugs and wires, air filter, pcv valve, fuel filter (if not in the gas tank), spray an intake cleaner down the intake tube. If there is a check engine light on, get it scanned at an auto parts store (for free) and bring it back here for comments. After you get it running better, play the timing belt guessing game: “Is it original, or has it been changed?” There are extra points for a correct answer.

Neither you, nor anyone who has posted has the faintest clue what is wrong with this car. Have a competent mechanic check it out and he will tell you, hopefully, what the problem is.

Buy an older car that runs right and you will end up saving money. Tell the donor that you wouldn’t touch that thing if it was a photograph.