Metric...or SAE?

Mechaniker said:

I don’t think you ever worked in a machine shop.

You can check the recommended metric tap drill sizes here ➔ Tap Drill Chart - Metric Threads

I am particular enough not to take you seriously anymore.

The company I work for has a machine shop and I am involved in its operations.

Reread what you posted. It says RECOMMENDED, it doesn’t say absolutely must be. It is just a guide for those who don’t want to have to calculate the drill size. The drill size is not absolute and depends on the application.

The formula I gave determines the drill size from the desired percent thread. If you aren’t doing precise work and don’t care about an exact percent thread then the charts are fine. I said that.

Please don’t respond to my posts unless you understand them first, I hate to have to repeat myself because you didn’t comprehend what I had written in the first place.

@Ametrika

We are just trying to communicate with each other, and exactness is not always necessary to get the message across. I’d prefer that you act as a Good Samaritan rather than an Anti-Social Samaritan. I think that you would gain better acceptance of your ideas.

An engine isn’t a motor?
Wow, won’t there be some surprised people at:

the Department of Motor Vehicles
Ford Motor Company
General Motors
Harley Davidson Motorcycles
Hells Angels Motorcycle Club
Motorboat manufacturers and sellers nationwide

Should they change their names to:
the Department of Engine Vehicles?
Ford Engine Company?
General Engines?
Harlet Davidson Enginecycles?
Engineboat manufacturers?

Um…would you like to be the one to inform the Hells Angels Enginecycle Club?

That Department of Motor Vehicles speeding citation I got, can I go to court and get it dismissed because my car isn’t a “motor” vehicle?

Sorry, but evidence abounds in the dictionary, business and industry, and even the law, that an engine is a motor.

"Man, I’d hate to be around you if somebody ordered a ‘Coke’ but meant ‘Pepsi’! Life is WAY too short to insulting strangers by calling them ‘ignorant’ over an issue as small as this. "

“No Coke”. “Pepsi”

NO CAR TALK FOR YOU!!!

BTW anyone who wants to use the term SAE to mean inch, fraction, or US Customary can do so at will. SAE International does not have exclusive rights or control over the term SAE.

The use of SAE to mean a measurement system is in the public domain. Any commercial use of the term is legal. Also the use of SAE to mean a system of measurement is not ignorant, it is simply common usage, we have the right to use it and SAE International cannot stop anyone from using it.

One more thing, the Society of Automotive Engineers is not SAE, It is SAE International.

Oh yeah, (why am I doing this) an engine is not always a motor, but a motor is always an engine.

Keith did you accidently get that backwards? Shouldn’t it have said “a motor is not always an engine but an engine is always a motor”?

No, I think I got it right. A motor is a mechanical device that converts one form of energy to another. In that since, it is an agent of change, but within that limited scope.

The word engine denotes an agent for change, but it does not have to be mechanical. Books, thoughts, ideas, documents, etc are often referred to as the engine behind a change. Engine seems to have the wider definition.

But I could be wrong. One point I was trying to get at, but did not state above is that our language is not controlled by any organization. It is controlled by us. The people who make dictionaries determine how words are used and write the definitions based on common usage. They do not dictate how words are to be used.

Sometimes even words that are copyrighted are taken and put into common usage. The copyright holder can lose some control over their “invention” Two modern examples are Xerox and Google. You cannot use those names for commercial use, yet, but it is acceptable to use the term Xerox as a verb in place of reproduce or copy and the verb Google to mean to look up on the internet, even if you are actually using Bing or Yahoo.

I see your point. The more I think about it, the more I realized how often I’ve used “engine for change” as an expression, and I wonder if the two aren’t interchangeable.

Except when discussing “motor skills”…which I’m slowly losing as I age…

“motor skills” I know the feeling. I’m so far over the hill, I can’t remember the top.

Either one is fine with me. Metric may be easier, but I realized fractions aren’t going to go away anytime soon. So, I printed a table from a car book listing all the fractions between 1/16th and 1", and taped it to by toolbox. Then, one day, I just decided to man up and memorize all of them except for the 32nds and 64ths. Problem mostly solved.