Metalic colored transmission fuild

My wife has a 2006 nissan altima 2.4l 4cyl.w/AT. The transmission has a little problem. At this time the car move only in drive 1. As you accelerate the transmission trys to shift up and when this happens it produces a grinding noise and slows back down and reingages the low gear. It has no reverse. All wiring harnesses appear to be connected properly and it has fuild. I was told that it is a control solenoid. And someone else told me it was a relay. The engine light is on but it will be a couple of days before i can get a code reader. Any other suggestions? Thanks

I think this is going to be a little more than a solenoid problem. Your post is titled “metalic colored transmission fulid” Can you elaborate on this??

transman

I agree that it’s not likely a solenoid or relay problem due to the vehicle not moving, grinding, and the apparenty odd-colored transmission fluid.

What I’m also curious about is how many miles on this car and what, if any, history of lube services does the car have?
Any trans fluid changes, flushes, etc.?

Unless your 2006 Altima has unusually high odometer mileage, it should still be covered by the Powertrain Warranty. If I am correct, you should not be fooling around with this yourself, and the car should be taken a.s.a.p. to the dealership for FREE repairs.

I believe that your automatic transmission is actually a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).
I know that the '07 and '08 Altimas came equipped this way, and I believe that yours is the same.

To the best of my knowledge, CVTs are not currently repairable in the US, and Nissan is dealing with failure of these transmissions by installing new transmissions when their CVTs fail. Even if your car is not covered by the powertrain warranty any longer, I am not sure that you will find a transmission shop willing to deal with a CVT. The dealership may be the only place to go for this problem.

But, in any event, the first thing to check is the length of your powertrain warranty coverage.