Mercury Milan Transmission Issues

Any good Ford mechanics here? I have a 2010 Mercury Milan with the 6F35 6 Speed automatic-transmission. I recently noticed when the transmission isn’t up to operating temps yet, it tends to want to slip slightly and hit second gear a bit hard, if I don’t back out of the gas. Once its warm its not an issue. I also noticed, even more recently, when cruising on a highway that I’ve passed over hundreds of times with this car, it started downshifting on some of the hills, and it never downshifted at all before on this pass. Once I started watching the RPM, I realized it was running about 300 or 400 more RPM than it typically did for cruising. It has about 140k on the mileage, so I figured a filter change was certainly in order, only to find its the non-serviceable type. I don’t really have to the time to dig into dropping the transmission to change the filter, nor do I want to pay someone to do it, only to find out I still have issues. Anyone have thoughts on what the issue might be?

About all that can be done at this point is, have the transmission fluid flushed, and cross your fingers that it fixes the shifting issues.

Tester

2 Likes

By now you should be nearly due for your third transmission service. Sounds like you have never had the transmission serviced. Pay a pro to have it done correctly, cross your fingers that it will correct the problem.

Oops, Testor beat me to crossing your fingers.

That would be a complete rebuild of the transaxle basically… Looks like just to R&R the trans it pays 7.7 hours labor…

It is just a drain and fill service though, not hard to do, the hardest part is filling the ATF in the fill/inspection hole behind the axle unless it has the one on top, but you still have the fluid level inspection plug to remove, just has to be level when doing the service…

Possible the result of wear at the solenoid pressure regulator valve bore in the valve body, worn clutch friction material and or TCC issues…

Are there any codes or pending codes??

And if it comes up, you have the GEN1 (6F35) trans

How many times have you changed the fluid?

From the OP’s post, I am going to say never… lol

No it isn’t producing any codes.

I don’t know the full history on its changes. I’ve had the car since about 95,000mi. It is possible it was never changed before that.

Then do a fluid exchange/flush with Ford fluid and hope for the best

2 Likes

At the very least check the ATF fluid level buy removing the fill/inspection hole behind the axle… Best to follow the service manual on how to or do some googling…

Most (Hondas are different lol) have to have the engine/transaxle at operating temp after driving or at least moving the shifter through all the gears (as best as you can, being a 6 speed) with the vehicle level and running, add the correct ATF till it runs out the fill/inspection hole and it slows to a drip… If you need more in-depth instructions on how to do this, feel free to ask…