Mercedez Benz 1995 c class by elegance

It s right where the “propeller” is . It s not near the engine . Like the space between the engine and the radiator . Where the radiator "fan " spins . It s right there . Almost like it s overflowing from the radiator .

The water pump is between the propellor and the engine.

It s just 1 bang. When the car starts to move . It sounds bland the thing about the engine backfiring . Might be the air filter . The car does have front wheel ball bearings problems . It s like a big bang that can be felt throughout the car .
Dunno the difference between a clunk and a bang sorry . But it does cause a vibration throughout the car .

I might waste time n money but I want to try to fix it . I already changed the battery and the oil filter myself , and it felt very good :grin:

The leak is not there .it s like it s in the empty space between the engine and the radiator . Where there is an actual empty space

This helps me alot ! Thank you . It helped me develop the issue and contour it better . I just got a message I can t post more replies for 22 h . So I edited the comment .
I have 4 days free of work so I ll just go work on it as I can .

Thank you so much !

I wouldn’t pat myself on the back just yet, there will be lots more to fix after putting a car that’s been sitting for a long time back on the road.

If you can feel it throughout the vehicle it’s going to be something loose in the drivetrain or suspension. Look on the web and learn how to check drive axle joints, ball joints, struts, control arms, and rear suspension parts. Buy a cooling system pressure test kit and read the directions and you should find the coolant leak. If this 1995 I’d going to be a project car, be prepared to buy a good amount of tools. I’d start with a compression tester. It may cause you to change direction after you get results. Good luck.

1 Like

Here’s what you do . . .

Buy a decent jack and 4 jack stands

Put the car on the jack stands

Remove the plastic splash pans

Start the engine

Roll under the car on a creeper and look for that coolant leak. You may quickly see the source, or it may take quite awhile. I’m thinking you’ll quickly see it, and you can also look for dried coolant residue, which should point you in the right direction

Please stop mentioning that you’ll change the timing belt, because you don’t have one. All the engines offered in the W202 C-class had timing chains. Translation . . . don’t remove the timing case cover, thus creating even more problems

While you’re under the car, you can check out the transmission mount, flexible discs and the center support. Pretty good chance one or more of those things is shot and may be contributing to the clunk

Be aware that disastrously bad motor mounts of any kind . . . motor, transmission, suspension and yes, even differential . . . can result in ominous clunks, vibrations, etc.

what shape is the front and rear suspension in . . . as I said earlier, there are lots of things that could be making the noise(s)

I hope you have another car to drive, because it may take awhile to sort this one out

If it were well maintained, it wouldn’t have sat abandoned for 2 years, it wouldn’t have been sold with a coolant link or with it making banging noises when you drive it.

Yes, and that was your mistake. If budget is an issue at all, old German luxury cars should be avoided. If you can’t go into the transaction thinking “I like it, I don’t care what it costs because I am rich,” then you can’t afford to keep it running even if it doesn’t have problems now.

Racism is not OK, including disparaging the Romani. Knock it off.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’re aware of this . . . apparently they don’t refer to themselves as “gypsies”

I’m just making a comment

Quite right. Poor choice of wording on my part. I’ve edited it to the preferred.

+1
Additionally, every day that he continues to allow this rolling wreck to leak coolant, the more animals he is going to poison. In case the OP is not aware of it, ethylene glycol has a sweet taste, and this attracts animals that will lap it up. Poisoning of those animals is the sad result of the green puddles that he is allowing to collect on the ground.

https://www.2ndchance.info/test.php?page=antifreeze

1 Like

I can post again.
I m not gonna respond to ppl calling me racist or that poisoning animals thing . That s just nonsense and silly . This is Orwellian, fascist and disgusting .
But just to be clear , I wasn’t racist , i was saying some ppl or cultures are not compatible , not inferior ,incompatible and I wasn’t running around town with my car leaking n putting on antifreeze when it ran out.
So lame .

Now , regarding the car . Thank you all who replied and help me understand car mechanics

Turns out , car passed inspection
There s a small leak in the radiator , that I fixed by pouring a solution in the radiator . the solution acts like a glue and fixes atches small hole. It s the first thing ppl try before getting a new radiator or have it fixed :man_shrugging:t2: . It should last a while . Until.i get a used one, new one or fix this one as there are many modern glues n solutions for this .

So the car is in good condition, as I suspected , plus the ppl I bought it from where very nice

So … I guess it s a good car .

Also it costed me 300euros . And by my calculations, it will cost me another 300 to make it really really nice .

I will invest in it to make nice mostly
It s a very classy car . The model 1995 doesn t have the problems the following had . Heard it started in 98,99. Rust , cuz they didn t treat the steel raight . The model since 1995 is like a toyota . It lasts. Well I hope it does .

Try to answer what ppl ask for , and keep negativity and other crap to a minimum. It doesn t help anyone .

The calculation I made , hope they re right are these : Ball bearings are 30 € . New oil filter is 15€ at most . The motor oil is under 30€ I think . Wax is 16€. The material for the rust is , fillings under 15 € at most . Dunno the chrome and paint . But the paint I can buy it from internet 50 dollars . Or good one 100$ . That sWith all the layers .and I m.gonna use spray cand Sand paper under 10€ .

If I change the radiator, a new one is 220 € . But I can get a used one or fix this one maybe .

There s not much money involved here if I do it myself . Cuz all the tools I need are in a garage I can access for free .
It s very doable

Do you realize this is predominantly a United States of America forum site . There are only a few international regulars that post here . I for one am to lazy to convert Euros to US dollars .
And as with all open Forums not all responses will be to your liking .

Alright that was cute .

Well put like 2 dollars more to every price I put there I guess . I guess. Dollars n euros are very similar . I put the paint in dollars cuz I saw it like that .

Also I got some good insight. So it was fine . I m glad I posted it . Cheers

1 Like

Which engine do you have?

Gasoline or diesel?

Displacement?

If money’s tight, see if a radiator repair shop will do a recore . . . that means reusing the plastic tanks, but installing a new aluminum core. The shop you want will be one that deals with “oldtimer” vehicles. I wouldn’t go for a used radiator. It might also soon fail.

which bearings are you referring to . . . ?!

No way to know what’s leaking on your MB but when my older truck’s water pump fails your description of the symptoms of your leak is pretty close to what I observe on my truck. There’s usually an audio component too, as the engine idles there’s a definite rumbling sound. A water pump sprouting a leak on a vehicle that been sitting unused for 2 years wouldn’t be at all uncommon. I wouldn’t recommend to just guess and replace the water pump though. Your best bet is to hire a mechanic to do a proper diagnosis, then you can decide to replace the part(s) yourself if you like.

Front wheels ball bearings . They re around f 35 dollars

It s benzin
Thank you for the tips on the radiator . I ll look into it . :blush:
I m just a noob , but I ll get experience and I think I can do it .

The mechanic at the inspection, told me to get another radiator. And showed me where it s leaking . I know it might sound like the usual pedant thing to say, but I m not sure that s the place as he didn t witness it . The place he showed me was the plastic on the bottom , but I m.sure I saw it up , like almost coming from the pipe that connects to the radiator . So I m guessing that was the leak , cuz of the rust and the green liquid patched it .

Which engine?

4-cylinder . . . ?

inline-6 cylinder . . . ?

what displacement?