Mercedes diesel tranny fluid

Does any one know why Mercedes schedules transmission fluid changes at 39000 miles–is this a dealer scam or legit?

It’s because transmission fluid should be changed at periodic intervals. 39K miles is 9K longer than I’d go, regardless of brand.

Why do you think this is a scam?

I agree. Transmission fluid is an oil based lubricant and needs to be changed on a periodic basis. There is a mindset out there that thinks the transmission fluid should not be touched. That mindset is wrong.

Couldn’t have said it any better. Change it now.

transman

I understand the need to periodically change auto fluids. First. I thought $480.00 is on the steep side for the change. Secondly, if fluids do need to be changed on a regular basis, why is this done once at 39,000 miles and then, according to Mercedes, it is good for the life of the car. This negates the change frequently theory and is why is brought up dealer scam. Thanks for the reply.

I’ll throw a wrench into this one. A lot of manufacturers use a type of “break-in oil” in their vehicles. It’s a special formulation that’s not commercialy available. I think Mercedes Benz must use a type of “break-in transmission fluid” or they think the majority of transmission wear occurs in the first 39K. I would stick to a regular transmission oil change regardless of the MB recommendation. $480 for a transmission fluid change is on the high side though.

Odd that it’s ‘39,000’ miles…as for the cost, find a good independent MB (sometimes advertising as ‘European car’) mechanic, and change it every 39k (me, I’d do it every 40k). European makers are under pressure to minimize oil use, this might be one result.