Mechanical effects of missing a Service

I have the opportunity to purchase a Nissan hardbody 2005 model 2.4l from my company at a very discounted rate. However, the vehicle missed the 20k service…

The car has now 80k on the clock and is driving perfect. What are the mechanical effects when the first service was missed? Is it worth to consider the offer?

20K service consists mainly of inspecting this that and the other. 20K is way too early to even consider replacing things, like the spark plugs and tires. The computer adjusts everything adjustable. And, anything chassis-wise, like suspension, should also last much longer. I wouldn’t worry about an alignment until tires were due at about 40K-55K. A few filters do come to mind, like the air filter, but you’d really notice it at 80K if it never was replaced. By 20K, the truck should have had more than a few oil changes.

There are no mechanical effects. If you like the truck, buy it in peace.

I would be more concerned about whether and to what extent the 60K service was done. Second question would be to find out when timing belt replacement is due. These aspects would factor in my offer.

Did it miss an oil change? How many miles did the engine endure on a single oil change?

Are you sure it’s a 2005? The Hardbody was replaced by the Frontier in 1998 in the U.S.and Canada.

The one thing that could have an impact would have been a missed oil change, but there is nothing that can be done now and frankly assuming that was the only thing, then I would not really worry about it.

It’s likely fine.

Myself, when I buy a used vehicle (and most of mine are) regardless if I see an up-to-date maintenance record, I have all filters and fluids replaced.

Unlike a lot of vehicle buyers, (I suspect) I go one step further and have my independent tech do a complete safety certification on it.

If something shows up, I have it fixed (replaced, whatever) so I can enjoy the ride instead of worrying about something unexpected.

That way I have an up-to-date record for myself that I KNOW is up-to-date and have peace of mind besides.

One good thing is you have a timing CHAIN and not a belt to worry about. (2005 Frontier) 4 or 6 cyl.

The chain should last as long as the engine.

Thank you very much for the good advise and insight information. It is really highly appreciated!
I had a look again and got some more info. It is the 3.00l Diesel hardbody model 2006 and the first service and oil change was at 33k. It missed the first 15k service. but besides some cosmetics, the vehicle is in a very fine mechanical condition. All other services were done professionally by the dealership. I am sure they would have replaced or noted an defect item.

Thanks again for all the help,

Regards
Reinhold

I wouldn’t give it a second thought, the 2.4L was a terrifically durable truck based engine and will give hundreds of thousands of miles of good service…just stay on top of the schedule…

Thank you very much for the good advise and insight information. It is really highly appreciated!
I had a look again and got some more info. It is the 3.00l Diesel hardbody model 2006 and the first service and oil change was at 33k. It missed the first 15k service. but besides some cosmetics, the vehicle is in a very fine mechanical condition. All other services were done professionally by the dealership. I am sure they would have replaced or noted an defect item.

Thanks again for all the help,

Regards
Reinhold

“the first service and oil change was at 33k”

The oil was first changed at 33,000 miles???

If that is what you meant to tell us, then I have to question your judgment in even considering this vehicle. Just “google” the words “oil sludging of engines” (or variations of those key words), and you should find information that will indicate the type of damage that is done to engines by ignoring the vehicle manufacturer’s oil change intervals.

I wouldn’t take a vehicle like that unless it was free.

meant 33,000 km. i.e. about 18000 miles.
I will take the car today to the dealer to get also his view.

Regards
Reinhold

I agree withe VDCdriver of course. Even getting the first oil change at 18k miles does not improve the situation much as compared to 33k miles. That’s still way too long to go on the engine’s life blood.

So just how much do they want for this peach?

With more info, I really concerned now. The oil change wasn’t done until 33,000 Km? Was synthetic oil used? I doubt it was in the engine from the factory. This is waaaaaaay too long, especially for a diesel. Oil in diesels get contaminated quickly, and most sources I have recommend changing the oil every 5,000 to 8,000 Km, especially with today’s Ultra-Low Sulfur diesel. They say acid formation is accelerated with ULSD. It may be running fine right now, but the damage is done. This engine probably has accelerated wear that will soon become apparent.

Whoever is in charge of vehicle maintenance for Reinhold’s company is either incompetent, or–more likely–intentionally does almost no maintenance and then dumps the vehicles on naive, unsuspecting buyers before the really nasty effects of the lack of maintenance become apparent.

If the OP buys this gem, it will be like a time bomb that only detonates–with HUGE costs–in a year or so. The company walks away with less outlay for maintenance, plus a decent amount of money from the naive purchaser, and the sap who buys it gets socked for…maybe $4,000.00 for a new engine in about a year or so.

The person who is in charge of maintenance knows that the effects of both engine sludging and accelerated bearing wear will only surface after the truck is in someone else’s hands. In addition, if the maintenance of the engine was ignored, it is safe to assume that the transmission, the differential, and the brake hydraulic system have also been ignored. The result is that this truck is really going to be a disaster in terms of repair costs for whoever is unfortunate enough to buy it.

Reinhold–don’t be the unfortunate, naive, unsuspecting sap who buys this truck.