Mechanic “forgot” to empty old oil and added full Amt of new on top

I had a new engine first oil change by a shop-(No Name) it was on a friday late in the afternoon I went to pick it up and noticed that they charge me for almost double the amount of oil the small engine was suppose to take? I asked about it and they said, it would be ok? I said, I prefer that they drain out the extra oil, they said, it was too late for them to do the work and I would have to return the next day and they would do just that! I said, I lived out of town and would need to drive home with the car! I said, If I suffer any damage from having the over filled oil in the crankcase that they would be held responsible. They said, it should be fine, well I did not get more than a block away and clouds of smoke was billowing out of the tail pipe, and a CHP cited me for excessive smoke . I explained what just took place and he suggested I challenge the ticket in court! In the end I was forced to go to small claims and I won got the company to cover the cost for another new engine. They also covered the cost for the fixit ticket challenge.

For the first oil change on a new car, you went to a no-name shop?
:roll_eyes:

Overfilling the oil can cause the crank and rod and assembly to froth the oil causing inadequate lubrication to the engine. Ruined an engine back in the early '60’s with a “nine quart” oil pan on a GMC truck engine. (Wasn’t a 9 qt pan)

1 Like

Even though it’s more expensive and my car isn’t under warranty anymore, this is the reason I only get my oil changed at the dealership where I bought it. The main reason is they only work on just Toyotas, all day, every day. I do have a trusted highly rated independent shop that I have do lots of other repairs on my car though.

1 Like

Good that you are taking it to be double checked.

My dealership is actually cheaper for oil changes than any of the national chains, and is in line with what the indy shops charge.

1 Like

My particular dealership isn’t cheap but their technicians are experienced.