Mechanic Fixed My Car Twice And It's Still Broken!

Hi. I’ve been to the mechanic twice already and he’s not fixed the problem since my check engine light came on 2-3 weeks ago. After the second time, last Friday - Feb 4, 2011, of sitting in the shop for 4.5 hours - the check engine light came on again that evening. I took the car to auto zone for a free diagnostic reading. The diagnostic reported there was a cylinder 2 misfire.

Today, February 10. 2011, I went to the car this morning prepared to go to work and the car would not start! I just had the battery replaced in October so I know that it cannot be the battery. There was a clicking sound so it ruled out the starter which leads me to believe there is something wrong with the engine.

I just had the car towed back today to the mechanic who worked on the car twice already - of course with a towing fee. I honestly don’t believe that the mechanic is getting to the root of the problem. I can’t tell him how to do his job but he should be able to assess from a diagnostic reading what needs to be done?Am I right?

This mechanic has fixed my car twice and it’s still broken! I’ve paid my money with no results. This is the third time my car will have been in his care. Did I mention this car shop is a national chain? Uh-hem (Clears Throat) Meineke! Can you please tell me what’s wrong with my car so I can tell him what to fix?

The diagnostic reads exactly: Cylinder Misfire Detected - cylinder number 2. Explanation: The powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition. Probable cause: a. Ignition system fault-spark plug(s),ignition wires, coil. 2. Vacuum Leak 3. Injector Fault 4. High Or Low Fuel Pressure. The work the mechanic did was he replaced the ignition coil pack. The sparks plugs were replaced back in May of 2010. I hope this helps to narrow down what the problem may be. I look forward to your response. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

MyHyundaiIsGrey aka Desperately Needs My Car Fixed :slight_smile:

P.S. - Will someone tell me if the THIRD time is the charm? The mechanic “fixed” my car twice and it’s still BROKEN!

I think your computer is broken, too. You posted this 4 times already. Enough!

You are lumping several car issues into one big “my car is still broken” mindset. Perhaps the mechanic has fixed the misfire problem but now the car has developed a problem that does not allow the car to crank nominaly, this issues with cranking speed is preventing the car from starting. All cranking issues must have their diagnosis started at the battery.

Sorry. I saw some typos in my post so I corrected them and reposted. I’m a perfectionist - you can blame my parents. My apologies - I did not realize it would post 4 times as this the 1st time I’ve ever submitted to a forum. :slight_smile: