Mechanic FAILED Simple Honesty Test

No, just that they wouldn’t be on the tenure track. Plenty of classes in top level universities are taught by folks not on the tenure track.

Depends on the university. The one I attended (which was a state school system) had the common practice of not allowing you to teach a class unless you held a doctorate. They wanted to be able to say “all of our classes are taught by doctorates.” Even dumber, you did not have to hold a doctorate in the field you taught. Hardly anyone bothers getting a PhD in journalism because that would be silly. So my journalism prof, who had a long and successful career actually working in the field, ended up having to get a doctorate in sociology just to qualify as a professor of journalism. Sheer stupidity.

Pretty doubtful. Honorary degrees are just that. Recipients are usually told not to refer to themselves as “Doctor” outside of specific contexts relating to the honorary degree, and they’re also supposed to suffix their name as “PhD(hon)” or similar.

Sometimes honorary degrees are awarded because you gave the school a lot of money. You wouldn’t want an honorary mechanic working on your car just because he paid for an alignment machine at the tech school, would you?

2 Likes

I also see that abbreviation (Hon) next to degrees that were earned with honors (rather than cum laude) or high honors (rather than summa cum laude). I wonder how people tell the difference only looking at a CV.

United States schools rarely apply the Latin honor system (cum laude, etc) or its English equivalent to anything but a bachelors degree. Pretty much the only exception is for the Juris Doctor degree (probably because lawyers love to be praised, and I say that as the son of a lawyer :wink: ).

I wonder how many people pick a college or university on tuition prices with the mind set that you get what you pay for the higher the price the better it has to be.

between college and law school my daughter is 250k in debt. and thats with living home the last 2 years of law school and taking the train in to save some money. what a way to start of life. being in debt that much.

1 Like

It’s not that the education is better. You can get a perfectly good education at a state school. But a lot of rich people and future rich people are to be found at the Harvards, Yales, etc. And if you go there, you get connected with them and that opens doors to you that aren’t opened to people who can’t afford to go there.

3 Likes

Shadowfax–Look up “sarcasm” in a dictionary. The point (which went WAY over your head) was that many people (most, past a certain age) can’t do their own oil/filter change, and/or are not DIY.

I believe the forum admin. has a name. Using it might help tag her.

The conversation seems to have taken a detour since it began, but what’s wrong with that?

1 Like

Just to stick my two-cents in… I’m 70-years old, not to be confused with 70-years young…

When I get out of bed, or get up after sitting a while, my body creaks, pops, grinds, and other sounds that others can hear. But I admit I am only a half-a$$, laid back mechanic. I have 5 vehicles, a 2020 Honda Fit and a 2019 Toyota Corolla SE, both “life-time” oil changes. So I let the dealer do these oil changes and any other work.

I also have a 1985 Toyota Corolla and 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins Diesel. I do most of the work on these, if for no other reason than it’s fun to get under, over, or in them again…

Finally, I also have an '84 Harley Davidson, Ironhead Sportster, XLCH, late-model, with an alternator, no generator, and I do ALL the work on her…

But I admit, I am lucky, I am a 30-year Air Force veteran and I live near an Air Force base. The base has an auto hobby shop with all the required equipment and supplies anyone could want or need. They also have technicians on staff to do the work if you just want it done there.

For example, the '85 Corolla needed new ball joints and another time, it needed new CV Joints and another time, it needed new struts; I did all the work myself and only had a technician do the wheel alignments after I did the work. Sometimes I do the work at home like replace the blower fan motor, the fan motor resister, and three different brake jobs (the Toyota has over 200k on it…).

As for the Ram, I’ve only had to change the oil (all 10-quarts…) and filter, and the heater/A/C bleed door actuator linkage (stupid piece of plastic that the dealer replaced 3-time under warranty) and I’ve replaced once. And truth be told, it needs replacing again…

It was not always like this, I remember having to drive a car over a ditch so I had enough room to work underneath. Or using just an old bumper jack to support the car doing a brake job (yeah, I know now how stupid it was, but when you’re young, you think you can pick the car up off of you if the jack slips…).

As for the cost, there are various organizations (both church and civic) that can help when the cost is prohibitive. Some will do the work for free (including the oil and filter) while some may only charge for parts (labor free…).

It’s up to you to do your due diligence to seek out these activities, so if you need help, ask around…

Wow, I guess I got a lot for my “two-cents…”

Plugger

1 Like

If she graduates with a high enough class ranking she’ll be able to pay that debt off quickly.

1 Like

Magna cum laude. she drove from Long Island to vermont to take the bar exam early before she even graduated. she passed the fist time. its just so expensive to live in NY. and to start off in debt that much is a little scary. maybe I worry about it more than her. lol

Let her handle it. She’ll have the resources to do it.

1 Like

@Remazz Forum admin here. Like the Jim Croce song, I got a name. Feel free to @ it. Anyway—I haven’t said anything yet because the discussion already went into the issues presented in the original post. It did take a detour and I usually only say something if it doesn’t come back at least broadly to cars/driving/economics of cars/car business/the like.

Also I observe that many discussions here take on a braided form where a detour may coexist alongside other comments about the topic. I was getting ready to say something but now I see bjensky has brought it back.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.

1 Like

Where does your daughter hope to practice? The reciprocity agreement to allow lawyers who did not pass a particular state’s bar is a mishmash. Below are the rules concerning Vermont… Below Vermont’s rules are New York’s and they are much more generous…

VERMONT: As of January 2005, the states of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont entered into a reciprocity agreement allowing attorneys to be admitted to one another’s bars without taking the bar examination for that state. Otherwise, lawyers who have been admitted to the practice of law in another jurisdiction of the United States may be admitted upon motion and without examination provided that at the time of application they have been actively engaged in the practice of law for five of the preceding ten years in one or more jurisdictions of the United States, are currently licensed to practice in at least one such jurisdiction, and are not under suspension or revocation in any jurisdiction. Any or all of the five-year admission requirement may be waived in certain circumstances. Additionally, each applicant who at the time of application has been admitted in another state and has engaged in the practice of law for less than five of the preceding ten years, and who is currently licensed to practice in at least one such jurisdiction, and is not under suspension or revocation in any jurisdiction may be admitted after examination as described in Vermont Admission Rule 6(a)-(e).

NEW YORK: Has reciprocity with the following states: AK, CO, DC, GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, MA, MI, MN, MO, NE, NH, NC, ND, OH, OK, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY.

What type of law does your daughter hope to practice? “Enquiring Minds Want to Know…”

Law

Do not want to get Carolyn mad being off topic again but… she started working here on Long Island just before the Pandemic hit. she is working with people who have been abused right now. really likes the idea of maybe helping kids in the future. she promised me she would never be one of those sleezy lawyers,. as far as the future of where she would move or do you never know where life takes you. she also told me that if she would move to a state thats not one that is recognized, she just has to take the essay part of the bar.

1 Like

I promise, I’m not mad. I can be annoying, but I’m not mad. :wink:

2 Likes

still love us? lol

1 Like

You can never be annoying but we do need you to keep us on the straight and narrow. :smiley:

Yes, but you might be angry!
And, no, I won’t explain the difference in meaning for those who are unaware.
:wink: