Mazda tops in CR reliability survey

Mazda has scored tops in Consumer Reports’ latest reliability survey. https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/mazda-consumer-reports-2020-auto-reliability-survey-74296414

Good for Mazda. The limitations would be the fact that Mazda doesn’t sell as many cars, the dealerships are not always close to where you live.
I also have some other issues with these ratings. They might not reflect long term reliability. Also a lot of similar cars, don’t rank close. In this year’s ratings, the examples would be Kia and Hyundai (essentially the same company) and Chevy/Buick.
At the end of the day, I try not to buy from the bottom of the list, but buy something I like.

Even better, Mazda is making some really good cars. The CX-5 is at the top of my list.

Bear in mind, those ratings involve vehicles as old as 2000 models, so that’s a potential indicator of long term reliability. We have a couple of friends who own 3s and love them. I found it interesting that one possible factor was Mazda using less tech than other makes. Dad used to say, “It’s just something else to break,” in regard to power steering, AC, etc.

Dad was right, I had a Roper washer, it led the Consumer Reports reliability list. It was made by Whirlpool just like Kitchenaid, Whirlpool and Kenmore, it was made so that non Sears stores would have an economy model to compete with the low end Kenmore. As a result, it had less bells and whistles available than the other 3 brands but the same basic design. Hence greater reliability.

A friend has a Mazda CX-5 that has been totally trouble free during the years she has owned it. When I bought the Camry almost eight years ago the CX-5 made my short list and easily would again now if need be.

We bought my daughter a 2015 Mazda 3 earlier this year. It’s our first Mazda. So far I’ve been very pleased and impressed. It’s not flashy or fancy by any means, but it’s a solid little car. Gets great gas mileage too.

There was a lot of premature rust problems with the Mazda 3 in the past.I think they fixed that issue by now.mazdarust

2 Likes

I read an article in the newspaper about this. Mazda’s success is laid mostly to not having as many advanced sensors in the car as other manufacturers use.

I personally think cars are getting too complex nowadays. There’s a lot of wisdom to the “more stuff to break” mentality. Technology can be too “helpful” sometimes, to the point of creating complacency.

I also want my plain metal keys back, too. And get off my lawn, you kids! :smile:

2 Likes

Mazda’s don’t have that problem here in the northwest but apparently not in the salt belt. My aunt’s 88 Honda CRX was like that after a few years living in the northeast.

You can’t compare a vehicle form 1988 to now. Starting in the mid to late 80’s manufacturers made huge improvements in rust protecting vehicles.

2 Likes

A couple of years ago I rented a late model Corolla and the “driver assist” features were simply a pain. It almost wasn’t worth using the cruise control because the collision avoidance system was integrated with it. Once it slowed the car when I was a good six car lengths behind the next vehicle at 40mph. Another time it warned me that I was about to rear end a car in the other lane, which would’ve been a neat trick.

OTOH, as far as I know blind spot monitoring on my wife’s Tucson is only active when you’re using a directional signal. If you change lanes without signalling you can still have an accident.

I also hate the thought of using a menu to turn on the heater (not that I’ve actually experienced that). Give me knobs and buttons.

1 Like

Had rental Charger in one east coast visit during deep freeze. Turning on the heat was a chore. Had to jump through hoops on the LCD screen. And when you finally had the heat on, the steering wheel would also warm up automatically. Was nice for the first few seconds, but as you started driving, it felt awkward. So, back to the screen to turn the steering wheel heat off and keep the cabin heat going. Now, that is technology.

My rental Corolla had automatic temperature control with the AC (it was too warm for heat) but only when the air was coming out of the dash vents. When I selected dash+floor that feature was disabled. Just why? The people who designed the car apparently think they know more about what the driver wants than the owner of the car.

What good is blind spot monitoring if it doesn’t monitor the blind spot before you want to change lanes? Our 2019 Odyssey monitors 100% of the time. My wife never reaches for the turn signal if the blind spot monitor is illuminated.

Beats me. I rarely drive it but I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. I don’t have the Owner’s Manual handy and I can’t find a decent .pdf but I’ll double check first chance I get.

I test drove the Tucson with the BSM as I am in the market for one. There is a tiny light that comes on in your sideview mirror to indicate there is a car in your blind spot. If you have your turn signal on meaning you want to change lanes, then it beeps.

I had a rental Rogue and the light was inside the car and more visible. Despite the CVT, it did go on my short list of cars to buy. I might take a look at the CX-5 too. Used cars are difficult to find nowadays.

I had a CX-9, great driving car, but parts were not readily available even at the local dealer. Local dealer went out of business. Had the Ford Duratec engine and an Aisin transmission. The waterpump was chain driven and inside the engine. It would leak inside the engine. To change it, you have to take the whole engine and transmission out of the car, 14 hrs of labor. Brilliant.

On the rav4 it beeps and flashes if there is a car coming up the street while backing out of the drive. Very Nice!

@Barkydog; That is the rear cross traffic alert. They all beep, not sure about the flashing.

1 Like