Mazda E-Brake light flickering

As the title states, on my 2002 Mazda Protege the red emergency brake light indicator flickers randomly while driving. I notice it comes on more on acceleration and is usually off while braking.

I am guessing it’s a sensor issue. Anybody familiar with Mazdas know where to look for the sensor? I jacked up the vehicle and took off the right rear wheel and looked for anything that resembles a sensor and couldn’t find one.

Thanks for the input.

Check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. The fluid level drops as the brake pads wear. And if it drops too far it’ll cause that light to come on as the vehicle is driven.

Tester

As Tester has implied, that “e-brake light” actually does double duty, and it also signals a low brake fluid level. In addition to the likelihood that a low brake fluid level is the result of brake pad wear, there is the remote possibility that there is a leak in the brake hydraulic system.

Ergo, it is time for a thorough check of the brake system after you have topped off the master cylinder with the proper spec fluid. The Owner’s Manual will tell you which type of brake fluid to use. The manual will also tell you what that warning light on your dashboard indicates. Time to read the manual!

I agree. Check the brake fluid level.

The sensor you’re looking for is floating in the brake fluid reservoir, and the change in fluid level as you accelerate or brake is triggering the warning light.

The owner’s manual that came with the car will explain this.

I had the same issue with my 2003 Protege. The technician told me that when the brake pads are worn, the pistons in the calipers have to push the pad further to get it to contact the rotors, which causes the fluid level to appear low. Once you replace your pads, the piston will be pushed back and the fluid level will return to normal and the light will stop coming on. Don’t top off the fluid, because once you finally do replace your pads, you run the risk of having too much fluid in the master cylinder.

The correct way to replace the pads is to bleed the brakes after the job. Ideally, they should be bled enough to flush all of the old brake fluid out. It’s both okay and wise to top to brake fluid off until the pads are changed.

+1 for brake fluid.

The brake light switch might be set too close and the brake pedal might be setting it off.

Or your emergency brare can be so far out of adjustment that there isn’t enough tension to keep the light off.