Mazda 6 2013 P2251

37,xxx miles

My CEL came on yesterday morning. Got the codes read that morning, P2251. Reset the codes using the scan tool. After work, I got a schematic and visually checked the bank 1 sensor 1. The connections going to and away from the sensor were tight and visually looked good. The sensor downstream also visually looked good. The CEL came back on this morning.

I was planning to take it to the dealership Monday morning. I normally would take it to my neighborhood mechanic, but since I’m 1,000 miles out of warranty, I’m thinking I should take it to the dealer. On Sunday, I was supposed to leave for a road trip to visit the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and Mount Rushmore, but I guess I need to put that on hold until I get this fixed.

What are y’all’s thoughts? What could cause this code (especially on a newer vehicle with low miles)? Should I just take the car to my neighborhood guy (who could see it earliest Monday)? I’m only thinking about the dealer in case this falls under the emissions warranty or they extend some goodwill towards me since my warranty expired about 1,000 miles ago.

Thanks guys.

“I’m only thinking about the dealer in case this falls under the emissions warranty or they extend some goodwill towards me since my warranty expired about 1,000 miles ago.”

Do You Have The Owner’s Manual and warranty information that came with the vehicle? Specifics on what’s covered and what’s not can usually be found there. If I recall, engine sensors are covered by my car’s (not a Mazda) 100,000 mile drive-train warranty.

CSA

Edit: I stand sit corrected. My engine sensors are not covered by drive-train warranty.

You don’t want to take the vehicle to the dealer if it’s out of warranty.

The easily replaced air/fuel ratio sensor is only warranted for 2 years/24,000 miles on vehicles built after 1996.

The only emission control components that are covered for a longer period are catalytic converters and computers. And that’s for 8 years/80,000 miles.

Tester

2013 Mazda 6?

Tester

@Tester I can replace the sensor myself. Just don’t want to be throwing parts at it. Yes 2013 Mazda 6.

I’ll go against the grain . . .

This is an emissions component, and I believe it’s still warrantable

Either 7/70 or 8/80, depending on what state you’re in

I may be wrong, but I think it’s worth a trip to the dealer

If you pay somebody else to replace it, and find out it’s warrantable after the fact, you’ll have to submit receipts to Mazda and try to get reimbursed

But you’ll only get reimbursed what Mazda would have payed their guys to replace it under warranty. That will likely not cover the entire cost. Because warranty pays badly

The fact is, the O2 sensor is only warranted for 2 years/24,000 miles.

And anybody that tells you otherwise has a different colored sky in their world.

Tester

@Tester

Are you happy now?

“And anybody that tells you otherwise has a different colored sky in their world.”

So you were right

Fine

Why do you have word it, so that anybody that’s wrong has to be an idiot and/or a liar . . . ?!

I still like you just fine

But you get this

You deserve it

Big time

:tongue:

@CSA @ Tester Oxygen sensors are specifically listed as parts under the 24,000 mile emissions warranty. I think I will just take the car to my neighborhood guy since he’s closer and it will most likely be cheaper than the dealer.

A thought . . .

You might want to visit the dealer anyways and ask to briefly speak to the service manager

Tell him your check engine light is on, and you’ve got fault code P2251

Ask him if they would like to replace the sensor under “goodwill”

Better yet, visit the very dealer you bought the car from, and politely point out the fact you bought the car from them

If you’ve been having your car serviced there, that would also help

I’ve seen much more expensive components replaced under goodwill, as a matter of fact

The service manager has a lot of power, and it’s not unusual for him to do such things. He knows that you will spread word of their goodwill gesture, and that might lead to new customers, and maybe even a few car sales

It’s possible the problem is only that the connector has come loose or has gotten water in it or something and corroded a bit, which might be possible to clean up good as new without much effort.

Has anyone been working on your car in that area recently? Any big rain storms, or you had to drive through some big puddles?