Mazda 3 oil consumption

Yea…a two stroke will burn oil by design…I haven’t driven any 2-stroke CARS/TRUCKS lately. Have you?

No, not lately, just motorcycles, but I have driven Mazda RXs, in fact I had a couple as a “company cars.”
CSA

Unfortunately, every car manufacturer on the planet disagrees. Although if the car were new it would certainly concern me. That’s be the high end of the consumption curve. Unless it was a Wenkle rotary engine.

On a car with 95,000 miles of unknown maintenance, I would say that the best approach is to keep the oil level up along with the rest of the maintenance. I would not tear an engine on a daily driver with 95,000 miles down for a quart every 1,000 miles.

+1
As I stated previously, the book value of this car does not logically allow for any “extreme measures” when the only stated issue is having to add 1 qt of oil every 1k miles.

@the_same_mountainbike
Sooooo do you consider it a service procedure or a repair?
You said it’s a service procedure, but in the same post you said the owners manuals aren’t meant to cover repairs, implying that the owner’s manual wasn’t meant to describe changing a headlight bulb. But, than, why was it in there? :grin:

Personally, I think of a service procedure as being preventative and a repair as being anything done to fix a problem no
matter how simple. I consider a headlight out as being a problem to be fixed.

Just a matter of semantics. Some taillight bulb replacement is very involved. Should the manufacturer provide detailed instructions in the owners manual? If so then why not dash bulb replacement? Or side markers? Or…
Why stop there? How about brake repairs, transmission overhauls, wiper motor replacement, and full wiring schematics just to name a few?

At what point does one draw the line? When the owners manual is 3000 pages thick and measures 14" X 20"???
Actually, 6000 pages if you add in the plethora of “Warnings” that most have.

What’s service and what’s repair, semantics. The section in my Corolla’s owner’s manual that “explains” how to change the various light bulbs , that section is titled “Service and Appearance Care”.

from my prior experience, VW and Subaru do not consider your claim about “high oil consumption” until you demonstrate 1 quart consumed per 1000 miles… which is outrageously high for the car under base 36K warranty. my experince with Subarus was in ballpark of 1/2 quart to 1.5 quarts per 5000 miles

so it happened that my family transitioned to Nissans: Altimas/Sentra barely consume 1/10 of quart of 5000 miles between changes, my 2006 Pathfinder with 150K miles gets under 1/2 quarts on the same 5000 change

As I said…I think manufacturers are just covering their butts. I know several people who own Subaru’s…and at their 5k oil changes the oil might be .1 pint low.

Of course they are covering their butts or more specifically, the outliers that result from tolerance stack up in production volumes…just because a few of us on a forum don’t know anyone that experienced “high” oil consumption doesn’t mean it isn’t somewhat common for the brand or even industry. Statistically, we’re insignificant compared to the total number of cars produced…