MaxCare Protection Plan - Subaru Outback 2010 Premium 2.5

I am about to purchase Subaru Outback 2010 Premium 2.5 from CarMax with 39K miles. I am looking for guidance on MaxCare Protection Plan. Do I need it?

I am currently driving my third Subaru, and–based on the reliability & durability of my cars–you would probably be wasting your money.

The consensus among the regulars in this forum is that extended warranties are rarely cost-effective, and many of them are outright scams. If you want an extended warranty, the only one that makes sense–IMHO–is one offered by the car manufacturer itself. The aftermarket warranties from others have so many legal loopholes in them that the chance of actually being reimbursed for repairs is…slim.

I agree with VDC. How much is it?

The one time I’ve seen it make sense was when a guy bought a Range Rover from CarMax, got the protection, and it just about immediately paid for itself only because a Range Rover is a DISASTER, reliability-wise.

I don’t care how much it is…they just aren’t worth it. They are nothing more then a very very expensive insurance policy.

Thank you very much for your comments. 1599 for 100,000 miles.

That rate for 100,000 miles will have a whole lot of loopholes. I would not buy this policy.

And that’s 100,000 total miles? or additional miles?

Either way, I’d pass.

Total 100000 (remaining 60000 miles) Thanks

Put the $1600 in YOUR bank account, not theirs…If you are financing the car, the cost is more than $1600 because you are paying interest on the borrowed money…

And take a nice vacation with whatever is left over in your $1600 savings account. Most of it should be.

In general, I am in complete agreement with all that has been said for the average buyer and feel it is unnecessary. Corporations that sell these things have all done the gazintas and make the profit, not you. Now, if you use your Subaru to plow, doubtful, or subject it to abuse ( heavy towing which you shouldn’t ) then, it may be worthwhile. Activities that shorten a cars life regardless of good maintenance deserve a little CYA warrenty consideration. My contractor neighbor who also plows, convinced me of that after many years of keeping track of such things. For you, I would guess it isn’t worth it unless the car has been subjected to some "unknown " abuse.

For you, I would guess it isn't worth it unless the car has been subjected to some "unknown " abuse.

And if you do subject your car to some “unknown” abuse…the warranty company will deny coverage.

The problem is that there’s always some hidden catch and they will fight you for just about any claim. If these warranties were such a great idea for the consumer, the companies that purvey them wouldn’t prostitute themselves to the degree they do to get you to bite. I still get junk mail with my vehicle model in bold letters on the envelope telling me “Final Notice” three years after briefly considering one of these and making the mistake of requesting information.

"the warranty company will deny coverage.“
Hence the " unknown” in quotes. I have seen drivers subject their cars to all sorts if abuse that by inspection, you would not have a clue what was done. When my neighbor’s son tries to pull his dad’s 3/4 ton plow truck out of a ditch by tying a line to a suspension component of his mom’s Subaru, I would call that “unknown” abuse. Outwardly by inspection, you see nothing wrong. In another few thousand miles, if that component fails I doubt the warranty company would have a clue what happened. Plowing is another huge item to consider having an extended warranty. Some companies won’t cover it, but my boss tells me, he gets the extended warranty specifically for it.

I would call that "unknown" abuse. Outwardly by inspection, you see nothing wrong. In another few thousand miles, if that component fails I doubt the warranty company would have a clue what happened.

Unfortunately that’s NOT the way these warranty companies operate. If they SUSPECT any type of abuse…they deny coverage…It’s then up to you to prove there wasn’t. They don’t even have to look at the vehicle. There are statistical signs they look for based on a large DB of vehicles and frequent failures they have at their fingertips. Like it or not…that’s the way they work.

Thanks. I bought the Suburu without the extended warranty.