Auto Extended Warranties

My paid off 2016 Subaru Outback now has 105,200 mis on it. I can get a service agreement through the dealer from National Auto Care Corp. Cost for 4 yr agmnt is $3,820.00. Is it worth it? Note: I did have an extended Subaru warranty on it until 6 yr/80,000 mis.

1 Like

Just remember that warranty companies are a for profit company, which means that they are designed to make more money then they pay out… Every now and then you win, but most of the time they win…

I am pretty sure you are overwhelmingly going to hear NO to any aftermarket warranty…

Pay yourself that $3820 and put it aside in a car repair fund somewhere and if you need it then use it…

11 Likes

I too would say no. The service agreement likely is limited to two oil changes per year and little else.
As Dave stated-save up your money for future maintenance&repairs.

3 Likes

Do you have a copy of the service agreement? You should read it and see what it covers. Then determine the price of each service and see how close it comes to the $3820. Does the policy cover unscheduled repairs or just scheduled maintenance items?

Two problems: first, as others have mentioned, the fine print on the contract (which you must read completely before any money changes hands) could make getting actual repairs difficult. We recently had a post where the claim was denied because they didn’t have written proof of all maintenance. Second, and a BIG problem to me, is that many extended warranty companies are pure scammers, and it doesn’t matter what’s in writing. I know of no way to distinguish the good from the bad, except that the carmaker’s extended warranty won’t be a scam, just expensive.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that the person asking this question will not return . If they look on the web they will see that there are a lot of complaints about National Auto Care.

They said service contract which is not the same as a extended warranty . Very few vehicle need 900.00 dollars worth of service every year.

1 Like

If it covers all non-crash related repairs, without restrictions, co-payments, unreasonable proof for routine maintenance, etc, price seems reasonable. Another idea, propose to your local independent shop that you’ll pay them $3800 now, in exchange they provide all maintenance and repairs for the next 4 years. No harm asking. Either method may work in your favor, or may not. No guarantees in life. I think the idea of car repair insurance is a good idea, but like health care insurance, there’s likely a devil waiting in the details.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve spent $3800 in years 7-10 for repairs on all 6 of my cars put together, let alone one car. It’s insurance, sure, but not a good deal.

Pretty sure this doesn’t cover regular maintenance - oil changes, tires, etc, correct?

1 Like

What a dumb idea!! Just put that money in a savings account until you need it . Besides that shop may sell , close or just plain forget you prepaid .

5 Likes

Thanks, after I posted the question I decided not to proceed with it. I appreciate your input & perspective though

2 Likes

It’s hard to get manufacturers to cover warranty repairs; it’s 10x more difficult with those private repair warranties.

There’s usually a TON of fine print and you violated the agreement in some way and “CLAIM DENIED!”.

Don’t waste the money, take that $3,820 and use it for preventive maintenance.

Very first review I found of that company:

Terrible company with terrible service to match. They will do and say whatever they can to deny your claim. I had their coverage for 9 months and only filed one claim when my engine blew. I gave them all my service records as requested and still denied my claim. When I provided evidence to go against their reason (s) for denying they came up with 4 different reasons for denying my claim.

1 Like

No way!
Aftermarket warranty is a scam. I spent nearly 20 years in the field as a Mechanical Breakdown Inspector. Ask me if I have ever had that warranty.