Max AC setting

And bought a new Porsche 911 every 6 months so that he didn’t have to get a license plate that would show he didn’t have the handicap endorsement. Then he’d park in the handicap spaces.

He was absolutely a real visionary in the field of sociopathy.

2 Likes

+1
Yes, he accomplished a lot for Apple, on the backs of workers whom he mistreated consistently.
He was a truly miserable human being.

4 Likes

Why would someone have that as a line on their email ?

3 Likes

No they don’t.

Our 17 rav4 recirculate is the default every time you turn on the ac. I always turn it off, I like fresh air!

He did a lot more then that.

He saved the music industry

He gave is Pixar Movies.

He was a true visionary. Many visionaries don’t do the technical work. But the have the vision to see what’s next and take us there. Jobs did that better then anyone in the past 30+ years.

Personally he was a complete ass. I’ve met and worked with several people who use to work for Jobs. No one liked working for him…but they all knew his vision was great and working with him was excellent for their career. One guy I hired a few years ago use to work for NeXT Computer (company Jobs started when he left Apple). Then apple bought NeXT and he was back at Apple.

Yeah, unless you talk to the artists. Better hope you’re popular on tours, 'cause you’re not gonna make much on albums anymore.

Go ask the artists. Sales were rock bottom and the Feds were really cracking down on the free on-line download sites. Jobs comes along and merges the services and basically saved the industry.

OK:

When was the last time David Crosby had a hit?

Jobs probably had zero effect on his music. But many artists sales sky-rocketed after ITunes.

Ohhh. I didn’t realize music industry business expertise was dependent on recent chart sales.

Fair enough.

How about Bruce Dickinson? He’s with this obscure band called Iron Maiden, and their last album in 2015 went gold worldwide:

What’s sad, I think, is for the young bands coming up," he said. "'Cause, I mean, how are they gonna make a living? Because, basically, they are being completely stuffed by not so much illegal downloading, although, yeah, that kind of, obviously, goes on and all the rest of it. But the bar is now so low in terms of what value people place on people’s creativity and music and stuff like that, and it’s just getting driven down into the basement. So it’s like the cult of celebrity — you know, those people who have no talent, except being famous and doing stupid stuff. That appears to be more important and have more value than people who have real talent.

Never said it was. Show me where I did.

All I did was contradict what you said…saying musicians hate jobs.

I even showed you a few links where musicians were praising jobs. Now you want to change the argument.

Here:

I’m not changing any argument. I’m giving you the perspective of the performing artists.

The Rolling Stone article you linked gives the perspective of the music executives. Yeah, of course it’s great for them, because they’re raking in most of the money from album/song sales.

Neither of your articles actually looked at it from the perspective of the people actually making the music. The Guardian one got closest with U2’s manager, but notably didn’t ask Bono. It also notably glossed over the economics, by explaining that Apple takes a 30% cut and the music industry takes its fees (but doesn’t tell us how much those fees are) with the rest going to the artists.

Hint: Those fees are big, and there’s not much left over for the artists.

I’ll note it would have been interesting to talk to Bono. He might have reason to be ambivalent about the value of streaming music, since he got in hot water for having an auto-download free album on i-Tunes that people got angry about having been given even though it was, you know, free. :wink:

Maybe by “single-handedly saved the music industry” you meant “made a bunch of people who didn’t create anything rich,” which, sure, I’ll absolutely agree with that. And I’ll go one further and say that Jobs was the perfect man for that job, since that’s exactly what happened at Apple. Jobs created nothing, but got rich off of other people’s output.

Perhaps we’re missing each other’s arguments because you’re assuming the “music industry” must include execs at EMI. I’m suggesting that there’d be plenty of music even without the big publishing companies and maybe, just maybe, it wouldn’t have that corporate-influenced sameness that a lot of today’s commercial music has.

WOW…that’s your proof? Completely unrelated.

You HAVE changed your argument. Tough to keep up.

You started out by saying artists didn’t like Jobs. Which I responded to and showed you a few links proving that wasn’t true. So you can no longer argue against…and now you’re saying that I said the music industry is linked to chart sales…Which I NEVER EVER said. Geez. All I said about Crosby was that he wasn’t effected by Jobs and Itunes too much at the time because he wasn’t selling a lot of records. ITunes drastically turned around sales at the time. That’s all I ever said.

But nice strawman argument AGAIN.

1 Like

This is ancient history and from my fuzzy memory of a service school on climate control back in the late 80s I think it was the scenario went like this.

Back in the 70s the Feds mandated that any car without A/C could not shut off the outside air.
Cars with A/C would bypass a little fresh air in but not much. The reasoning was that if someone was sitting for ages in stalled traffic or whatever the shutting off of outside air would keep a lot of the CO and other pollutants from other cars from entering the passenger cabin.

Of course that doesn’t help the non-A/C cars much. That’s the best i can remember it. There’s been a lot of water under the bridge since then.

There were cars in the 1970’s that the blower motor could not be turned off in the interest of positive ventilation, “low” was the lowest setting.

Cars manufactured in the last 25 years allow you to switch off outside air and the owners manual advises when to do so, for example;

"If following another vehicle on a dusty road, or driving in
windy and dusty conditions, it is recommended that the air
intake be temporarily set to the RECIRCULATED AIR
mode, which will close off the outside passage and prevent
outside air and dust from entering the vehicle interior."

He was a marketing visionary.

I don’t claim to be an expert on the Steve Jobs subject, but I saw Steve Jobs park his car in the Apple parking lot a few times on Saturday afternoons, and never noticed he was parking in a handicap spot. He seemed to be parking out where everybody else was parking. He wasn’t driving a 911 either, usually a Volvo. Having no license plates, that’s probably the case. A pretty significant % of the cars in the SF Bay area didn’t display identifying license plates due to some sort of a loophole in the state law at the time. That law was changed, and since this year (2019) I seldom see a car without an identifying license plate. Which is a good thing imo.

He did all that, so that he could deprive truly handicapped people of their parking spots . . . ?!

What kind of a jerk does that?

Right now, I have a very low opinion of Steve Jobs :frowning_face:

You worked for Apple . . . ?

I’m not sure how we got on music in an AC thread but…

No, you provided links showing that music industry executives like Jobs. There’s a difference between music industry executives and artists.

That’s not what I said, but why did you ask when Crosby’s last hit was? What relevance did that have if you didn’t intend to link chart sales to the relevance of artist’s opinions of streaming music? Words mean things.

So, you said his opinion is irrelevant because you don’t think he’s selling many albums. Just like I said.

I never said it didn’t, but the artists who actually made the music being sold didn’t see a large portion of the proceeds because they went to Apple and the music industry executives. And btw, a 30% cut? 30? That’s lawyer money, for hosting a file on a server. Lunacy.

If you want to keep this up, let’s take it to PM’s and let the thread get back to air conditioner settings.

3 Likes