March 2024 Recalls Total 1M+ to date (3.12.24)

In most cases these repairs are no charge to the car owner, just a minor inconvenience. Unless it is a “stop driving” recall & there’s a parts shortage. Then the owner’s continuing use of the car is in serious jeopardy. Do the manufacturers offer up another car for the owner while awaiting the repair ? If not, should this be required?

In ALL cases there is no charge to the owner - these are recalls

I have never heard of manufacturers offering loaners. A dealer might to a good customer but during the early Takata problems, there were a couple of Park-No-Drive orders for car with no replacement parts. I waited months for my Mustang airbag recall parts to arrive but did not get a No-Drive order.

Maybe…

1 Like

Radio news today, their recall expert said if you receive a recall notice to always take your car in b/c there’s no cost to the owner. I was thinking that while technically true, the statement is misleading if the owner loses the use of their car for several weeks or months.

It is generally not a surprise. I got a notice to make an appointment when my airbag was available. Took it in and it was done in an hour or so. No surprises.

There are different types of recall notices. An “Interim Notice” is to inform the owner of a defect that will be repaired at a future date when a remedy is available. Dealers normally won’t accept vehicles before the owner receives the recall repair notice. Repair notices are sent out in phases dependent on part supply.

Page 5 of the latest Toyota airbag recall in the link below, shows rental car reimbursement information for dealers.

RCMN-23V865-2958.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

1 Like

A friend had a Honda with a seatbelt tensioner/retractor that was not working. While not a recall the dealer wanted to hold onto the car since a safety item was involved. The parts were not available so they gave him a loaner for many weeks with no end in sight. The loaner was not as nice as his car and he was frustrated waiting. I suggested he get the part off of eBay and have the dealer use it. The dealer did install it, but since it was not a Honda part he was charged for labor and they would not warrant the part. My friend was upset but he did get his nice car back. Had he not done that he would have been driving a loaner for months.

1 Like