Manufacturer Recommended Maintenancw

I just purchased a 2009 Prius. Is it OK to adjust the maintenance cycle (oil changes, etc.)from 5000 miles to 7500?

If you have a mechanical engine issue while under warranty your lax oil change habits will likely lead to a denial of a warranty claim.

Yours is a strange question - why??? What does the manual say???

No. Not if you want to have a long life for the engine. Assuming the maintenance cycle is what Toyota (not the dealer) recommends for your kind of driving (see owner’s manual) then you don’t what to change it. Nether increasing the interval or decreasing it.

It’s your car, if you don’t care about it, then do what you like. Note: not following the prescribed maintenance schedule will void your warranty (with good cause IMO).

No, it’s not OK. Follow the schedule if you want the car to last. You can adjust to shorter oil change intervals, but not longer intervals.

There are probably two schedules, one for normal use and one for “severe service.” Follow whichever schedule matches your driving routine.

OK from what perspective? If you want to save money in the short term, then feel free to go ahead with that plan.

On the other hand, if you plan to keep the vehicle for more than a couple of years, and if you want the protection of the factory warranty on the engine, then this plan is very much like shooting yourself in the foot. This type of negligence with maintenance is sure to lead to much higher costs over the long term–especially for the unsuspecting second owner of the neglected vehicle.

By the way, thank you for reminding me why I don’t buy used cars.

Please tell me you didn’t buy a Prius for long, highway commutes