Manual chokes: why not?

[quote=“VOLVO_V70, post:140, topic:100125, full:true”]

That does not even make sense. The choke is to start the engine, is not needed to drive a warmed up car.
[/quote]I have a theory: @RandomTroll was trying to bring the conversation back to the original topic. :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Well, manual chokes may keep a driver from having an accident. Back in 1965, I had a summer job with the audio-visual department of the university where I began teaching in the fall. At any rate, the maintenance department had provided us with a 1955 Ford that was pulled off distant road trips. The rear seat had been removed and a wooden platform had been built over the driveshaft hump so we could cart equipment around campus. We had a know-it-all who had to move equipment. He loaded a couple of projectors into the Ford. The engine cranked but wouldn’t start up. He came back into our area and said we needed to call the maintenance department as something was wrong with the car. I bet him I could start the car. He bet I couldn’t do it. We went out, I got in the car and it started instantly. What I did was pull the hand choke before I ran the starter. My know-it-all friend did not know about manual chokes which all Fords had back then. I think manual chokes made highways safer because know-it-alls couldn’t get manual choke cars started. The best system in my opinion for automatic chokes was used by Chrysler Corporation back in the day. It was electrically controlled on.my 1948 Dodge and it never gave a problem. The automatic choke would sometimes stick on other makes. However, I was old fashioned enough back then that I preferred a manual choke. Nothing beats simplicity in my humble opinion.

4 Likes

What’s a choke? (LOL).

Carburetors have basically been illegal for automobiles since 1990. Fuel injection operates by using the oxygen sensors to adjust the mixture, or by using an enrichment curve before the oxygen sensors warm up. There is no “choke” to operate anywhere in a modern auto, whether manually or automatically. And frankly, having had far too many carburetors in pieces on my dining room table over the years, I don’t miss them. Same deal with points and condensor.

Congrats to Mr Triedaq who got the point.

1 Like

A manual choke made it possible for me to get home once. I had driven about 20 miles up to a peat moss bog in my 1950 Chevrolet pickup truck to get a load of peat moss. On the way back, the only way I could keep the truck running was to pull out the choke. The next day I pulled the carburetor and it was clogged with dirt. Pulling the choke created more vacuum and allowed the engine to pull more fuel through the dirty carburetor. I also learned that I hated carburetors. I spent an entire afternoon rebuilding one.of the simplest carburetors made–a one barrel manual choke. Fuel injection is.a wonderful thing.

Well I have now thought about chokes more in the last couple of days than the last 50 years. It has brought to my attention though how important it is to pass this information on to the next generation, just like our folks did with the great depression and WW II. So next trip I’ll spend some time enlightening the next generation and watch their eyes glaze over. Everyone should know about chokes though just like how to drive a manual transmission.

1 Like

I can only partially agree with you . . .

I agree that “everyone” should know how to drive a manual transmission. There may come a day, when their car is in the shop, and rental car is a stick. Or maybe they’re on vacation in a foreign country, and the only vehicles available are stick. Or maybe they got a new job as a delivery driver, and the truck is stick. Or their dream car is a classic Porsche, which will almost certainly be stick, so they better know to operate stick, in case they ever win the lottery, or save enough money to fulfill their dream

But I don’t really agree that “everybody” should know about chokes. It’s not very useful information, for the average driver in the US

2 Likes

Not to argue but if you just got 10 inches of snow and you’re trying to get the snow blower started, you need to know about a choke. (tongue in cheek)

2 Likes

I had a 1949 5 window. I was 15 years old and loved it. Manual everything. Now I love my modern car when I touch nothing, turn the key, and it goes vroom every time.

As a kid, watching my grandpa hand crank his manual choke John Deere tractor taught me “Verdammt Scheißhund!” and other colorful German phrases.

2 Likes

Manual chokes, forget it. I like the fact that the Fire dept., Ambulance service and Law enforcement can just jump in, start vehicle and be on their way.

1 Like

Back in the carburetor days, an ambulance or a fire truck that was on a Ford chassis did have a manual choke. You could take off as soon as the vehicle started. You would gradually push the choke in just as the automatic choke gradually opens the choke

Our public policy making processes isn’t designed to be rational, so I don’t expect it to be rational. Public policy in a democratic republic is messy. It’s political by nature, and although some people consider “politics” a dirty word, without it, we wouldn’t have any public policy, or worse, we’d have a system in which we cannot freely engage.

It’s easy to complain about our political public policy process, but would you rather have a different system? I wouldn’t. It might be messy, but I can’t think of a better system.

NH minimum is 45 (unless otherwise posted).

However MA only has a minimum of 40mph on MassPike. There are no other minimum speed limits the other highways in MA. And during rush hour 95/128, 93, Rt3 and 495 - you’re lucky to be doing 45. Many spots 10 is good.

With respect, I cannot see any reason at all why everyone should know about either chokes or how to drive a manual. Only some 6% of new vehicles sold today are manual, and these are all “market niche” cars. And the last car I had that had a manual choke MIGHT have been my '61 Beetle, and I’m not certain I remember that correctly.

If one chooses to drive a manual but needs a family car, he/she will have a hard time buying one. His/her choices will be extremely limited. What’s the point in knowing how to drive manuals? It’s sort of analogous to learning how to fasten high-buckle shoes. Except in the world of stage costumes, high buckle shoes are nonexistent.

Why would anyone need to learn about chokes? They don’t exist anymore except on farm implements and snow blowers. They’re irrelevant to driving.

There are already many things that car owners should know about vehicles that most don’t including tire pressures and vehicle maintenance. I see no reason for them to have to know obsolete technologies.

2 Likes

@the_same_mountainbik With respect I have disagree with you about knowing how to drive a manual. My reasoning is {everything I own is a manual} if sombody is riding with me & I get hurt or sick & can’t drive we would be up the creek.

2 Likes

Point made. But do the other 321 million people need to learn too?
Wouldn’t an ambulance (for you) and a cab be available for those who can’t take over driving your cars?

I agree that being able to drive a manual is a good thing. It gives one a better understanding of the way cars work. But I don’t think it’s necessary for those not interested.

Agree if you are in the metro area but I live in a very rural area & travel to places that are maybe 75 to 100 miles to the nearest services.

You take me too seriously. There are things though that I think everyone should know in life in addition to how to build a fire, drive a MT, use a choke, and repair a carb and small engine. They include how to weld, how to build, how to lay shingles, how to paint, how to wire, how to plumb, how to buy stocks, create a balance sheet, change oil and plugs, polish a car, and quite a few others. The world would be a better place.

1 Like

I know the struggle, brother. I like to drive a stick shift, and I have to choose between an economy car, a midsize economy car, a sedan, a sports car, or a midsize pickup truck if I want a stick shift. I guess SUVs and minivans are out. Oh, woe is me! :slight_smile:

The struggle to drive a stick shift is real!