B2B choke and throttle hook up

I recently bought a 1950 Dodge truck. The guy I bought it from had tinkered with the choke and when I went to get the truck had even removed it completely. I was wondering if anyone would have any pictures showing how your choke is hooked up.

I have not had a car with a choke since 1983. Maybe we can talk you through it.

Is the choke plate missing from the carb? Or just the linkage? I assume this truck has a manual choke.

Can you post picture’s on one that old should be a very simple hand choke.

The choke plate is missing so I may have to make one or fine one somewhere. Also I may be thinking wrong but I remember seeing somewhere a picture of a large spring that went from the carburetor to the wheel well. I don’t remember what that was for, would that of been for the throttle linkage.

The linkage is all on the carburetor but there is nothing to stabilize the choke cable coming from the firewall once you get to the carb.

There should be a clamp at the carb to hold it.

The 1950 Chrysler and Plymouth had automatic chokes, this one might also.

Not if it has a choke control cable connected to the firewall.

I don’t know about this particular truck weather it is hand or automatic but do remember changing from automatic to hand when the automatic choke started acting up.

I believe the 1950 Dodge truck had a hand choke. Our neighbor had a 1951 Dodge truck and it was a hand choke. It also had a foot pedal starter. The engine was a 218 cubic inch flathead 6 which was also used in the Plymouths of that time period.

1 Like

Looks like the choke cable attaches to the choke plate lever.

Tester

1 Like

The first step in any situation like this- a new to you 60+ year old vehicle, is to figure out what you have. More than likely, in that time it has had numerous owners that may have bastardized many things on the truck. Look for a carb model number on the carb body or mounting flange to see what’s now on the motor. You could post a picture here, there are quite a few posters old enough to recognize it. I think this might be the carb owners rest home :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Once you know what it is, you can start looking for replacement parts or a replacement carb for that matter.

I run at least one car with a choke delete. It can be a bear to start when it’s cold out or the bowls go dry but for the most part, a few pumps and it’ll fire right up. Needles to say, it’s a fair weather car. Depends on where you live and what seasons you intend to drive this vintage machine how important a choke is…

I would suggest finding a service manual for this truck to help you with not only this carb issue, but any other issue/repair that will need to be addressed. If you can’t find an original copy (say on eBay), reproductions of the 1950 Dodge B-2 series truck service manuals are available.

if you find the model number of the carb you may be able to order a choke plate for it. Is the shaft still there for the choke plate? you will need the screws to secure ot tp the shaft also.

The choke plate is visible in the picture right behind the vent tube. The only thing the OP needs is the cable and appropriate clamps.

1 Like

That’s not the OP’s carb.

1 Like

Ah ha ! I was not in my sharpest reading mode earlier. I proved that by responding to a thread from 2009. That one was so old I think I still had hair!

Can’t thank everyone for their help. I enjoy reading all the different questions and the answers. Thanks again.