Manual chokes: why not?

Quoth my friend who lives nearby: [quote]‘The location is hardly a secret, but just for fun let’s
pretend I’m giving you a bit of inside information. You can find the
steps yourself at the corner of Vendome and Del Monte in the Silver
Lake district, just south of Sunset. There’s a little grassy triangle
nearby that’s been named Laurel and Hardy Park. The magic numbers:
923-937 North Vendome Street.’[/quote]

L&H’s truck had a manual choke.

I do read on-line maps. Much easier to see, and you can zoom in on very specific location. I have some paper maps in my truck, but I think the last time I looked at one was over 10 years ago.

Last week I noticed I still have a “Mapsco” bound map atlas for Dallas in my car. I got it from a friend 22 years ago, and may have last used it 10 years ago. It used to be the go-to map guide, with firms advertising their address, followed by “Mapsco pg. 22 G-3” to give the reader a quick way to find them. I find the Google maps app very useful. Except in Pittsburgh, with all the overlying street names and route numbers. It would yack forever just to tell me to turn right at the next corner.

It was PC version. I can barely make and receive calls on my smart phone. Coincidentally the second and third Google dead ends were when I was trying to find a cemetery.

Thank you. That is the exact reason I use them.

Actually, there is STILL considerable disagreement

I know about the place you mentioned, and there is by no means unanimous agreement, that it’s the location from the film

In spite of the fact that it’s “been named Laurel and Hardy Park.”

Some people think the Earth is flat. L&H’s truck definitely had a manual choke.

I think L&H had a horse drawn wagon.

1 Like

A manual choke probably discourages most car thieves who might try to steal my 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40.

I use a paper map to get an overview of where I’ll be going is its unfamiliar territory. The the nav system while driving. You just can’t read a map while driving or at night and a phone is way too small.

1 Like

Yup!
That is exactly what I do.
I want to know the general route beforehand, just in case the GPS decides to go…wacky.
By familiarizing myself with the route beforehand, I can then rely–with confidence–on my car’s GPS system. And, even though I consider smartphone-based systems to be a good backup, I much prefer using the car’s GPS system.

In addition to a display screen that measures ~7 inches, the car-based GPS is integrated with the audio system and the Bluetooth system, so that the audio is muted when the GPS tells me about an upcoming turn, and everything is overridden if I receive a phone call. I usually ignore those calls, but if something is really important, I will pull over in order to take the call. Having a separate GPS system doesn’t allow for all of that flexibility and integration.

What? Never heard such non-sense before.

2 Likes

My system mutes when the app gives instructions.

True, for all practical purposes. Impossible to meet emissions regs with a carb. That was the point.

1 Like

I use gps on a regular basis, biggest problem I had was once I picked shortest route as the default for returning from the boat guy dragging my boat behind me, there I was on 1 lane dirt roads, not much traffic thank goodness.

1 Like

It’s amazing how easily assumptions become myths.
Carburetors are not and have never been illegal, but as already mentioned it’s pretty much impossible to meet modern EPA emissions regulations with a carburetor. A carburetor has too big a technical challenge to overcome. It metes out gasoline using a system of relatively low pressure differences, and that means the gas droplets are too big to burn through completely in the timeframe they have in an engine spinning at thousands of revolutions per minute. Since only the hydrocarbon molecules in direct contact with oxygen atoms burn, the large droplets have to burn through in layers, like the layers of an onion. There simply isn’t enough time.

Fuel injection sprays using smaller orifices and high pressures, typically 40psi and up. It creates a very fine mist, much smaller droplets, much more able to burn completely in the limited time available. And port injection sprays directly behind the intake valve, eliminating the congealing of the droplets on their way to the cylinders… they need not go through the intake manifold. In addition, since the pulsewidth and injector timing can be controlled with great precision at each cylinder, it can be metered far more accurately.

Direct injection is theoretically even better because the fuel doesn’t have to go around the intake valves, but it still has a few byproduct problems to be worked out. Time will tell if it’s really better enough to justify its added cost and carbon problems. It’s early yet.

4 Likes

? My '87 Toyota pickup (with carb) meets the standards of California & NM for new cars, ranging from 1% to 10% of the allowed maximum. There are different standards for my old car, but it meets the new ones.

Which definitely requires manual choking.

1 Like

That can be overcome by having the intake manifold inside the exhaust manifold, the heat of the exhaust boiling the gas into vapor. Old farm tractors were often designed this way so they could run on kerosene which refineries practically gave away during the early 20th century before chemists found a way to crack the heavier factions of crude oil into gasoline.

They did when I was in 10 years ago :astonished: (time flies…)