Malibu Maxx Headache!

I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx and there is an intermittent very rattling vibration coming from the front end that magically clears up when I take it to be serviced. It seems to happen most on the highway at sustained speeds. You can really feel it in the steering wheel and it seems to clear up when slightly turning left or right. When it does happen, we pull the car over to the side, or turn it off a while and it is gone until next time. The last time felt like it was the worst and really difficult to accelerate the car from a stop, felt like the emergency brake was on when it wasn’t. It also didn’t clear up after a stop, had to turn it off a while. Please. if you have ideas or experience with this, HELP!. Spent almost a K on crap the mechs said it “might” need.

This model/year apparently has a rash of front end shudder/vibration problems. Hard to tell whether yours is related or not.

The fact that you can feel it in the steering wheel makes me wonder whether it’s related to the electrical power steering system, which has a known problem with “dither,” ie slight rapid oscillation. Do some Google research on “malibu maxx electric power steering recall.”

Also, next time you experience the difficult acceleration, pull over and touch the front brake rotors to see if they’re hot. If one is much hotter than the other, that brake may be dragging and the reason for the slow acceleration.

Great, will do.

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 06-02-32-007G

Date: April 05, 2010

Subject: Clunk, Knock or Rattle Noise From Front of Vehicle While Driving or Turning Over Bumps at Low Speeds (Diagnose Noise and Perform Outlined Repair)

Models:
2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

It does have the clunk, but this is more of a really jolting loud vibration that comes and goes and is constant until the car is turned off or stops.

“this is more of a really jolting loud vibration that comes and goes and is constant until the car is turned off or stops.”

Sounds to me like the electric power steering is going haywire.

Flag · Off Topic Disagree Agree Like ·Report