Major repairs versus new car

Am I crazy to spend about $4,300 for a new transmission for my 1999 Volvo XC that has 200,000 miles on it, but is otherwise in great condition? It has been lovingly serviced and cared for. I love all of this car’s attributes: size, handling, interior, etc. A new Volvo is about $40,000 and a recent used one is about $25,000. Next to those numbers $4,300 for exactly what I want seems cheap. Am I crazy?

You should get a quote from a good independent transmission shop as to the cost of a REBUILD. That would be considerably less, I think. If you love the car that much and it is otherwise reliable, It would be worth a rebuild.

No not really. Enjoy your fixed Volvo.

If you don’t fix the transmission, it will be worth $4300 less when you sell it. Whether you keep it or not, fix the transmission. And check around for a better price as Docnick suggested.

Usually the thing to do with a blown transmission in a high-mileage car is to try to find a used transmission, although I don’t know if there’s going to be a lot of these out there for this car.

$4300 would be a poor investment on a car of this age. Instead simply obtain a used transmission from a low-mileage car at a salvage yard. Your first transmission made it 200K, so a used transmission with 50K on it will outlast the rest of the car.

Usually the thing to do with a blown transmission in a high-mileage car is to try to find a used transmission

That’s what I’d do. What’s the car worth??? Why put $4k into a vehicle that’s NOT worth $4k.