Maintenance and repairs

My jeep takes a little brief moment to turn over and start up. It’ll crank for a second and then rev up. I got my battery tested and they told me it was bad. So I purchased a new one and got a jump to start it up. I got a few notifications one being a hazard light saying “Stop Saftey, Vehicle will shut off soon” and the battery light in the corner. A few people said it could be my alternator. So I got a new alternator , put it on , tried to crank it and just a small click sound. Any help or ideas of what it could be? Maybe some ground wires touched and blew a fuse? Maybe the new battery got drained from sitting on the old alternator ? I don’t know. Suggestions

Well your battery is discharged. It needs to be charged up first. If you put the new battery in and still had to jump it, you may have gotten a bad battery. If you put a new alternator in and the battery is still getting discharged, sure could a bumb alternator or parasitic drain. Best at this point would be for a shop to check it out.

1 Like

So with the new alternator and new battery, I’m getting all power with no crank just a clock sound. Once jumper cables are on, about two minutes and car cranks up

The year of the vehicle is very important when ask for car help off the web.

Tester

Jeep Compass trailhawk 2019.

Sounds like you should be taking this to a mechanic for a proper diagnosis. Throwing parts at a vehicle is an expensive way not to fix it.

I would guess the battery is run down and needs a charge.

1 Like

2019? I would have used the dealership, might have been covered under the power train warranty.

A new battery required a jump?

In my opinion, time to have it towed in for a proper diagnosis. You have all ready spent much more than a proper diagnostic fee, throwing more parts on it based on what “a few people” tell you without having hands on the vehicle may result in more money spent without a cure.

1 Like

All of your current problems sound like a loose battery cable connection.

Clean and properly tighten them.

Just because your lights work, doesn’t mean you have a GOOD SOLID connection.

This might not be the answer to your problem, but I figured I would post it anyway.

Map Title 18-007-19 REV. A (nhtsa.gov)

If I had that problem I’d

1. Disconnect & charge battery overnight on 2 amp setting with battery charger
  2. After removing from battery charger and left sitting (still disconnected) for 4 hours, battery should measure about 12.6 volts. If less, connect to battery charger (2 amp rate) for 12 more hours.
  3. Once disconnected-for-4-hours battery measures 12.6 volts, re-connect battery to car & measure voltage again. It should still measure 12.6 volts. If so, start engine. Battery should now measure 13.5-15.5 volts.

If engine clicks but won’t start in step 3 above, clean oxidation from battery posts and connectors. Reconnect battery to car & try again. If it still clicks but doesn’t crank, measure voltage on starter motor “s” terminal during attempted cranking. Should be at least 10.5 volts. If it is and doesn’t crank, pretty good chance the starter motor is faulty.

Note that disconnecting the battery on modern cars can produce unintended consequences, like the radio stops working, or engine starts ok but won’t idle properly. Could even prevent the engine from starting. Suggest to research how disconnecting battery effects your make/model/year.