Lying liars and their lying lies

Conversations between my wife and myself. …

Thanks @BLE

@Kevin
I have seen that in car salesmen all of the time. If you ask them about a used car especially, they are quick to point out the good stuff, omitting the flaws. I have been very successfully selling lots of boats and cars in “Uncle Henry’s” because of an approach my dad always used. Be absolutely honest about your item and tell them everything. The customer can then feel better about believing it was well cared for mechanically if you point out the dents in the back and that some items that are negative.

@ok4450…I didn’t think for a moment that you really meant that at all. It just reads that way. I have dealt with my share of customers who have told me lies that I just knew were impossible. I have also dealt with a lot of “mechanics” who had no idea what they were talking about and tried to make up something on the spot to make themselves look good. I always try to treat people fairly and I want the same thing in return.

@missleman, I do agree with you about some mechanics who kind of go off the wall with some things. Lord knows I’ve heard (through customers and directly from mechanics) some things that are a total embarassment to the profession. It could be due to someone honestly believing the nonsense they’re reciting or someone trying to cover their tail for some reason. In some cases the mechanic may have done nothing wrong and is trying to articulate something that just does not come across well.

One that comes to mind is the person who posted on this forum a few years ago about someone being on the road and suffering a wheel bearing failure in their Cadillac. They were told by this ASE shop in Florida that the wheel bearings had failed due to aged engine coolant. This aged coolant was allegedly causing electrolysis and microscopic sparks which were jumping in the wheel bearings and burning them up.
If there was ever a top tier award for a case of babbling BS this one would have to be in there…

As I told my daughter it is due diligence of the buyer to make sure you are being treated fairly.

It is shameful that an ASE-certified mechanic would say wheel bearings failed due to aged engine coolant

Does any organization certify ethical business practices?

If only someone did… But the lines would be quite long at the good shops. Come to think of it they already are.