Lurching while shifting

I have a 2014 fusion, just went past 34k. More times than not when it shifts from 2nd into 3rd it seems to lurch forward or makes a shuttering feeling (haven’t mentioned this to the dealer). Ford dealership suggested I get a fuel induction service when I got my oil/filters changed today. Would this help smooth out the shifting?

No. It would only make your wallet thinner, not actually solve your concerns with the way the transmission is shifting

2 Likes

In the eighties you would be getting the transmission rebuilt for symptoms like that. Now, with computers, you may never know until an expert gets a chance at the problem. Odds are good that a fuel induction service will be useless.

Your car has a 5year/60,000 miles powertrain warranty that covers the entire engine and transmission. Go back to the dealer and have them deal with it.

I’m pretty sure it was a 3 yr/30,000 mile that expired in early July

It’s a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty on everything, 5 year, 60,000 miles on the powertrain, which includes the transmission, according to Google.

The fuel injection flush is a profit making device to sweeten the deal for the dealer. There is no reason you should need it.

1 Like

Thanks, thats good go know

Good advice above. You vehicle is quite new and new transmissions have diagnostics that require a special equipment to access. If the dealership wants to try something to do with cleaning the insides of anything, instead of starting at the fuel system, have them give your transmission a proper service. In most cases with automatics this means to drain the fluid, drop & clean the pan, sift for any in-towards metal debris, and refilling with fresh fluid. If that helps but doesn’t fix the symptoms 100%, try it again after driving for 200 miles or so.

It is possible of course this is a fuel system related problem. But that isn’t where to start with this symptom unless there’s another reason the dealership has to suspect the fuel system is involved. Diagnostic codes for the fuel system, prior problems with clogged injectors due to contaminated gasoline, etc.

I totally agree that the “fuel induction service” in your case will only serve to lighten your savings account. And I should mention that it upsets me when I hear things like this.

Double check your warranty and, if it’s truly 5 years/50,000 miles, go back to the dealer. You should also have with your paperwork a description of the protocol to elevate the problem to a manufacturer’s rep if needed. You may need that one too.

Sincere best. Keep in touch.

1 Like

Might be worth asking the dealer about TSB #ASI-45239 NHTSA ID #10058625. Conditions that warrant the TSB fix are, “SOME VEHICLES TRANSMISSION WILL EXPERIENCE, AFTER A COLD SOAK OR AN EXTENDED PERIOD WITH ENGINE OFF, A 2-3 SHIFT HESITATION DUE TO POSSIBLE HYDRAULIC CIRCUIT DRAIN. MODEL 2013-16 VARIOUS VEHICLES. *PE”

3 Likes

It sure sounds like a problem with the lock up clutch to me. How long has Ford been plagued with lock up clutch problems? And how in the world can a Ford dealership be ignorant of the problem?

Maybe it’s selective ignorance - they “remember” about the TSB when you buy the wallet flush package?

1 Like

I can understand why they didn’t research service bulletins or make a repair attempt, the vehicle was only in for an oil change.

1 Like

We just went through that with one of our fleet vehicles at work. The Chevy dealership recommended a transmission flush for those symptoms, but what it ended up needing was a transmission rebuild.

I find a good rule to follow is: Never let anyone talk you into doing unscheduled maintenance to solve a repair problem.

3 Likes