Lower tire pressure in one tire

I have a 2019 Ford Explorer and my back right tire is at 33 psi, the other 3 are 38-40. Is this cause for concern? This back right tire did have a gauge mark in it about a week after I bought it, but the dealer said it was nothing to worry about.

Ok , I guess you meant gouge not gauge . Also it is time for you learn what your tires should be inflated to . That will be on a plaque on your drivers door post. You can buy a tire gauge at Wally World.

If a tire loses 6 PSI, then, yes, you should investigate and find the leak before it gets worse. You can often do this yourself by spraying the tire, bead area, and valve with soapy water, then looking for bubbles.

Yes, lion9car is correct. First, Iā€™d have all 4 inflated then watch them closely. (I once had a oil change place drop my tires from 35 recommended to 25, and another time a neighbor kid thought itā€™d be funny to deflate a tire.)

Does your dash show tire pressure on the fly? (I ask b/c I was surprised mine shows TP, updated every minute.)

Itā€™s possible the tire was deflated when you picked it up. If not, this is something the dealer should repair, if they canā€™t find a puncture. Modern tire/wheels should lose pressure only with temperature changes.

OK , according to Mr. Google the factory recommended tire pressure for this 2019 Ford Explorer is 35 PSI for all tires . So this thing has not lost 6 lbs. one is 2 lbs. low and the other three are to high .

Back to the original problem is that apparently no one has ever taught Dana how to check and inflate or deflate tires so they are all close to the proper setting.

People that donā€™t know how to check things like this, oil level, fluid levels should be required to learn these very basic tasks, before being granted a license. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

Pass the written test, pass the driving test, now you need to pass the pre-trip and tire changing test.

3 Likes

I assumed they all started at the same pressure, but maybe that was a bad assumption. The OP will need to clarify that.

PvtPublic:

How about teaching pre-checks(oil level, tire pressures, etc) in high school, instead of nonsense like Shakespeare? lol

Should be part of driverā€™s education.

3 Likes

I agree, but due to budget constraints, many school districts have eliminated Driverā€™s Ed. The school where I was a faculty member eliminated it back around the late '90s, and I wouldnā€™t be too surprised if many more districts followed that practice over the years.

When I was in HS, there was ONE Driver Education carā€“for a school with an enrollment of close to 3,000 students. Even if you just consider the number of 10th or 11th graders who would have been age-appropriate for Driver Ed, having just one car for probably 700-800 students is laughable. But, to make everyone happy (albeit less safe) they certified that EVERY student had takenā€“and passed Driver Ed!

1 Like

@ChrisTheTireWhisperer This thread is 4 years old . The postdate is on the right side of the page.

And your point isā€¦ ?

1 Like

VDC:

Yes - budget ā€˜cutsā€™ took away a lot of things - and put them toward higher salaries for some folks in the school system.

Basic car maintenance for one.

Home economics, how to keep a check book, etc.

And Civics - remember that one! Lack of a Civics course in the 8-12 grades might explain some of the election results of the last few years.

Never said it has to be through the school system. 32 states require drivers education whether or not itā€™s offered in high school. I had to take mine through a private company. They didnā€™t even mention getting fuel LOL.

Pvt:

Iā€™m the one who suggested the basics be taught in schools.

And your point is? I was replying to the budget cut statement.

I canā€™t speak to the quality of schools in your state, but please allow me to assure you that ā€œthe basicsā€ are indeed being taught in my state, as well as the others that consistently rate at the top of the rankings in The US. I canā€™t vouch for the other very low-ranking states, but I can tell you that none of the Louisiana students who transferred to my NJ HS were ever able to pass NJā€™s HS proficiency exam. Louisiana is essentially at the level of a Third World Country when it comes to education.

A little less Shakespeare, a little more car maintenance education in high schools makes some sense. I wouldnā€™t refer to Shakespeare as ā€œnonsenseā€ myself; but I concur the archaic nature of the language and adult subject matter make that topic better for adults than high school students. Biggest problem with teaching Shakespeare in high school is it turns the students off, who might otherwise enjoy it later, as adults. Nobody at the high schools are listening to our opinions of course ā€¦ lol ā€¦

1 Like