Low tire presure...what should be the correct pressure

Last night I found out my car can “sense” when I have low presure in my tires as it sounded an alarm. It was right my back driver side tire must have a slow leak because it was down to 25 PSI. I looked in my manual and on my inside panel of my driver side door but couldn’t find anywhere what the correct pressure should be. I checked all my tires. My two front, which are brand new tires came it at 38 PSI, my passanger side back was at 35. So I filled the other back tire back up to 35 and reset the low tire presure alarm. Got up this morning and the tire was down to around 30, so off to the tire shop on Saturday. But where can I find out what is the best PSI for the four tires.

Opps my car is a 2003 Impala…

Unless your car sustained serious body damage from a collision, there will be a label on the door jamb of the driver’s door. Look just below the lock striker on the door jamb, and you should find the label.

There is a label there, and it has some info, but not the PSI # for the tires. First time I have not seen that three.

Typical tire pressures for these cars was 35 psi. I had both an Impala and a Caprice and the pressures were always 35 psi. Your reading of 25 is definitely too low.

Is the additional 4-5 PSI in the two front wheels bad?

Is the additional 4-5 PSI in the two front wheels bad?

If all 4 wheels call for the same psi, then you should NOT increase the psi on the front tires. Keep them the same.

As for an increase of 4-5 psi…that’s not a good idea. That much added pressure could effect handling.

When I checked all four tires last night the two front had 39/38 in them nad the back was at 35/25. Thus it appears from people here that 35 is the amount required so I will let some air out tonight.

are your new tires identical brand/model to the old tires? what is the datecode on the older tires? mixing new and old tires is not the best route for stable handling. in dry climates, you might get away with it. in rainy or snowy climates you might have issues.

All four are Goodyear, not sure if they are the exact same.

First time I have ever heard an owners manual doesn’t have the title pressure.

^
+1

The info is there, but apparently the OP is not looking in the right place.

I looke up everything in it about tires and no where does it say what the tire presure should be for the tires.

Make sure you measure the pressures with the tires cold, several hours after driving. Don’t let air out of a warm tire.

I plan on checking tires after work today. Filled up leaking one on way to work, car will be sitting in parking lot from 8 am till 5pm, will check then and see amount loss in leaking and then let out some in both front tires.

Try looking one more time. On GM cars there are two labels. Sometimes one will be on the door jamb and the other will be on the back edge of the door itself. The manual doesn’t list the tire pressure because it can vary with the cars options. If there aren’t two labels one has been removed for some reason.

What does your owners manual say about tire pressure? Rocketman

I googled the question and my inquiry responses said that your tire pressure number is located on a label affixed to the inside of your trunk lid. Take a look and get back to us. Rocketman

Just went out and checked, and yep it’s listed on the trunk. It lists the tire size and PSI. And according to “it” I am considerably over on my tires as it lists 30 PSI for the four tires and 60 for the donut. I also checked my “leaking” tire and after 5 hours it has not lost any air presure, so not sure what is up but will monitor it till Saturday to see if any leakage occurs and will reduce my overall tire presure down to the 30 I guess.

When I worked in the field (years ago) we had a tub which we put the leaky tire in and looked for air bubbles. I also used a spray mixture of soapy water on tires also looking for bubbles. One thing I WOULDN’T use would be that "Fix a Flat in a can, it tends to screw-up your tire pressure sensors. If the tire is off the car anyway, let all the air out and sandpaper the edge of the wheel where it seals to the tire. Change the valve stem while you have it off the car. Visually inspect for cuts or bruises, and that should take care of it. When I was in law school I worked part-time in a truck stop garage at the intersection of two major interstates and I changed a lot of tires, saw a lot of scary stuff on vehicles coming off the interstates. Hey, time for a thread on that. I’ll post a separate thread, join in! Rocketman