Low tire presure...what should be the correct pressure

oh oh, goodyear. they aint never made a round tire. been told

Tire still on car, I only have a donut as a spare and HATE those things. Will keep an eye on tire and PSI over next couple of days then get to my local Tire Barn to see if they can figure out what is causing what is a very slow leak.

I am also a bit surprised by the PSI, I don’t think I have ever had a car with tires with a recormended PSI of 30 before…

People driving Impalas want a soft ride. I’d put 'em at 33 psi, and when they get back to 30, bump 'em back to 33.

+1 to insightful’s recommendation.

It could be that the label is missing, because the door was replaced at one time.

With tghe car being 11 years old that could have been the way the label went missing.

Yosemite

"It could be that the label is missing, because the door was replaced at one time."

Well, in the second post in this thread, I did speculate that it was possible for the label to be missing as a result of collision damage. Just one of the delights of used cars…

Guess we were all surprised that it turned out to be in the trunk.

The tire pressure label on the under side of the trunk lid was common on GM cars. Before that it was found on the inside of the glove box door. I recall finding tire labels in the right side door jam on 1970’s asian cars. The tire label is still easier to find than the customers wheel lock key.

I’ve had a few japanese cars, where the tire pressure label was on the inside of he glove box door

I suppose the logic, is when you open the glove box, the label will stare you in the face, so even if you lose the owner’s manual, you’ll know the correct pressure . . . ?

“Make sure you measure the pressures with the tires cold, several hours after driving. Don’t let air out of a warm tire.”

Meh…I always air at a gas station, which means I can NEVER check pressures “cold.” With the advent of TPMS, I get to see that pressures don’t change all that much as you drive. A “fudge factor” of +2 PSI for in-town driving, and +4 PSI for sustained highway driving, should get you closer than the gauge’s accuracy in the first place! Don’t let lack of “ideal” testing conditions keep you from maintaining your tire pressure.

According to Tire Guides, a publication that summarizes vehicle tire placards (and a few other things of interest to tire folks), your vehicle tire placard should say 30 psi.

Vehicle tire placards are currently mandated to appear on the driver’s door frame, but prior to 2008, it could be anywhere. Common places are other doorframes, the door itself, glovebox, fuel filler door, and the trunk lid.

I usually go a few pounds over the vehicle recommendation (don’t really follow the tire guide except NOT to exceed maximum) as it gives me a more firm ride and slightly better mpg. Maybe 2-3 pounds, not much. Rocketman

Me too. That gives me room to loose 5 psi or so and still be near the recommended pressure when I add more air.

Exactly!
I don’t mind the slightly harsher ride that I get in exchange for slightly improved handling and slightly improved fuel economy. And, if the temperature drops more than I anticipated, my tires are not seriously underinflated since they began with higher pressure.

Well now I am kinda baffled. Filled the low tire up (it was at 25 when I filled it up) and that was Wednesday morning, checked the tire this morning and it’s just fine, no loss of pressure at all, still where it was when I filled it up, so now wondering what would have caused it to get down to 25 in the first place if not for a slow leak…

"now wondering what would have caused it to get down to 25 in the first place if not for a slow leak."

Continue to monitor it on a daily basis. If there is still no change after two more days, then I think you have to conclude that somebody (likely neighborhood kids) decided to flatten your tire as a prank, but were interrupted before they finished their task.

I thought that maybe, but then I would have thunk that the cap wouldn’t have been on, they would have just discarded it and it was on. The only thing I can think is maybe it was low when I got the car but not low enough to set off the sensor which goes off when it is 12 PSI lower then the other tires on the car and with the driving I did and temp changes it caused it to lose enough to go below that and set off the sensor. I am going to check it each day and see what happens.

I have a tire pump that lets the air out of tires when I put the nozzle on the tire valve. Does anyone know how I can fix this tire pump?

@ArlHtsMelissa–You need to post your question in a new thread that you create, rather than tagging onto an existing thread. Look for the large rectangular red “button” (labeled “New Discussion”) toward the upper right side of your screen, click on that, and create your own thread.