CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Loud motoric sounds when car is running except during turns

Help! Recently, my car started sounding like the heater or some other motor was on high when I turn on the engine and drive. However, the heater is off. Took it to one repair shop and they put in a new alternator. The sound remains, but louder and more insistent, except when I turn, then it stops for a moment or two. Took it to another place and they thought it was some belt behind the alternator and put in a new something (forget what it was called, but they said it is a typical break in older Toyotas. Mine is a 98 Corolla LE. But, the sound remains and gets louder. So far the alternator has cost me $500.00. I will take it back to the second place, because they didn’t charge me yet, and they wonder now if it is the water pump. Any ideas?

A few months ago the car was shaking at 65 MPH. I was out of town and a repair shop tightened a wheel bearing and aligned the wheels. The shaking stopped, but today it started again. Could this problem be related to the wheel bearing? Help! Jeanne

This question needs a bit of clarification before anyone can really give a substantive answer.

Motoric sound? “Motoric” refers to voluntary muscle movement in an human or animal’s body, not to a sound. How this would relate to a car? Can you clarify this for us?

Regarding the sound that you tell us is heard “when I turn on the engine and drive”, is that sound heard when the car is stationary, or only when the car is moving? That is a very important detail, and your description of the circumstances is not at all clear.

Later in your post, you make reference to a recent problem with the car’s wheel bearings, and this may be a clue. Even though I am probably being premature with any suggestions before you give us a clarification of the situation, based on what I have gleaned from your post, I think that it is very possible that the problem is indeed your wheel bearings. Since they may have been overtightened, or they may be about to seize, I would suggest having this checked out a.s.a.p., as this is a potential safety issue.