Loss of power

I HAVE A 1981 JEEP THAT I JUST BOUGHT. CHANGED VALVE COVER GASKET AND FOUND TWO PUSH RODS OFF. PUT THEM BACK ON AND ENGINE RUNS BETTER, BUT EVEN BEFORE THIS AND STILL NOW, WHEN I SHIFT INTO 4TH ENGINE LOOSES POWER. THE MOST i CAN GET IT TO IS 50MPH. ANY SUGGESTION

If the former owner did not see fit to fix broken push rods, what are the odds that he/she actually did any maintenance on the vehicle in the past…God only knows how many years?

If–as I suspect–this vehicle did not come with full maintenance records, you have to assume that no maintenance has ever been done.

I would suggest that you do all of the following on this neglected 29 year old vehicle:

Oil & Filter change
New air filter
New fuel filter
Flush cooling system
Change spark plugs and plug wires
Clean and tighten the battery terminal connections
Change transmission oil, differential oil, and brake fluid
Have a Jeep expert inspect the tie rods, track bars, and other suspension components for wear and damage.

If you don’t see any improvement after doing all of that maintenance, then the next thing that I would check is the pressure that your fuel pump is putting out. If your fuel pump is putting out sufficient pressure, then the next thing to look at is your catalytic converter. It may be clogged/restricted.

Some of the above items have nothing to do with a loss of power, but they do have a LOT to do with the vehicle being able to make it through another few years without very expensive repair bills. As a result, you need to do it all.

P.S. Lose the “all caps” style of posting. (That is correct. The word is “lose”, not “loose”!)
Typing in all capital letters is the internet equivalent of shouting, and is considered to be impolite.

Thank your for your response. I am changing all that as we speak. I hope it works. Once again thanks.