Looks like I lost my truck to a distracted driver

I think in the case of a pedestrian, it would be the liability portion of the policy that would cover the medical expenses not the no fault provision. Commentators on a news program really irrelevant to deciding who pays for property damage. Likely there would be a sharing of the fault and not 100% vs. zero. But I think they would go after both policies and beyond. Just because you have poor insurance coverage though doesn’t meant that they can’t hit you for a couple million in damages that could follow you through out your life.

Health insurance might help pay for your medical costs, but uninsured-underinsured coverage will pay for lost income, costs your family has taking care of you, loss of stuff you had in your vehicle, pain, permanent disability and loss of earning capacity. It’s a very big deal.

Where did I say anything different? When did I say it wasn’t a big deal?

Completely agree with that

Actually in PA it’s mandatory for insurance carriers to provide uninsured motorist…so again, the health insurance doesn’t play a role whatsoever (again, I speak only from PA)

No Fault insurance is just weird.

So what happens if you have an accident that causes over $500k in personal injury and you only have a $200k uninsured policy?

I’m not really sure. I’ve thankfully never been in that situation, and I don’t personally know anyone who has. I’m leaving for Chicago tomorrow, but if I get a chance before I go, I’ll try and dig up my policy and see if I can get you an answer.

I was agreeing with you! You were absolutely right to add underinsured
coverage.

Sorry…misunderstood

Update, very disappointed in my search for a new small truck. Chevy Colorado will be 6 to 8 weeks for delivery of one with a manual transmission and there is one Tacoma available but it has a bad clutch (brand new truck).

But as luck or providence would provide, a neighbor put his truck up for sale. Its not what I want, a 2007 Silverado 4WD automatic, way bigger than I want, but it is in excellent condition and well maintained and it will save me about $18k over a new basic small truck. I can learn to live with it.

1 Like

Keith, just curious, did you look at the Nissan Frontier ? I bought one in 2014 and have been pleased with it. I still wish the Ranger and S-10 size trucks were still made.

No, That would have been next, but now I will have this.

This will not be a daily driver for me, just something to haul garden supplies, hardware for house projects and trash to the dump. I’m retired so economically this make sense. I’ll only put about 6k a year on it.

Problem (finding truck) meets solution (neighbor is selling one).
It was meant to be! I love it when that happens! :smile:
CSA

If you are referring to the Colorado which GM is currently producing . . . 2nd generation, as far as I know . . . that isn’t really a small truck in my opinion. It’s the same size as F-150s from just a few years ago. We have several older F-150s in our fleet (think 1997-2004 body style), as well as several Colorados of the current generation. And they have pretty much the same GVWR.

I consider the current Colorado to be in the same class as the now defunct Dakota and T-100. Both were slightly smaller than full-size trucks at the time, yet were bigger than an S-10 or Ranger.

That neighbor’s truck you’ll be buying . . . is it extended cab, crew cab, single cab, or what? Short bed or long bed? If it’s a 1500, the ride is pretty bouncy, unless you’ve got a load in the bed. Which engine? Cloth seats or vinyl?

I am ready to go back to a minivan, 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall fits, and seating for 6 or more if needed.

I’m with you, @Barkydog. Everyone wants an SUV, no one wants a minivan. That’s a recipe for savings at purchase, and you get a lot more interior room with the minivan in a similarly sized vehicle. Our 2003 Silhouette has as much room as a Suburban and gets a lot better gas mileage. It even fits in our garage. I don’t think a Suburbans would. Our neighbors with Suburban or Escalades park in the driveway even though they have a 2 car garage. I bet if it fit, they’d park inside.

1 Like

I bought mine new over 2 decades ago to haul kids and friends to sporting events and for vacations and occasional sheet goods, bicycles, and even a side-by-side refrigerator, and an upright piano (not simultaneously)! :smile:

It’s got 100,000 miles now, I park it during winters, no rust, but I still haul that stuff around. I’d be lost without that old thing. :sunny:
CSA

1 Like

They are. Just not sold in the US. South America LOVES those size trucks.

Extended cab, longbed? Z71, 5.3L, cloth

That’s a very nicely equipped truck you’re talking about

Good going :+1:

I was shopping for new small trucks a few years ago. I wanted to test drive the Tacoma extended cab 4x4 with a manual trans. There were none in the whole state, closest one was like 300 miles away. The Colorado only had manual trans offered in the fleet trucks as I recall.