Looking for Noisy Tires

I am a college student looking for new tires for my 2005 Chevy Trail Blazer. AKA on the cheap, and I am looking for tires which are good for Ohio winter, but also something noisy. I have noisy ones right now and I love them. I live in the city, where everyone is packed in like sardines. Also my sister has 4 kids who I visit regularly, and I love it when my worn out tires let people know I am coming 100 meters away. It’s a safety issue, and I am sad to let the ones I have right now go (noisy as hell for the last 50 thousand miles) because nothing like letting people know that something is coming down the drive way…really fast, but not as fast as they think.

Any tips on what to look for, or tires which will last but are notoriously noisy, the ones I have now were rated for 65 and I am replacing them at 70. No complaints, though most people wouldn’t like the noise.

Thanks,

Bob

I love it when my worn out tires let people know I am coming 100 meters away. It’s a safety issue …

Yea, you certainly are interested in safety running on worn out tyres.

You say, “…like letting people know that something is coming down the drive way…really fast, but not as fast as they think.” WHY are you running REALLY FAST where you know people are about? THIS action makes YOU the safety hazard, loud tires, or not.
It’s your admitted poor BEHAVIOR which needs to be modified, not your tires.

Perhaps you could replace them with the same make and model that you’re removing. If something’s working for you, why not stick with it?

There isn’t anything cheap about the tires you may require, $200+ each. However, Costco has some good choices for you. Sam’s club probably does, too. You can check out tirerack.com for tire reviews and decide if you want purchase on line, or not.

You can also check out independent tire dealers, and see if any off “take offs”, which are gently used, nearly new OEM tires that someone swapped out for better tires. Sometimes there are good deals to be had there.

Most inexpensive tires turn noisy after the first 10-25k miles whatever you buy. IMHO that is the difference between buying a Michelin/Bridgstone/Goodyear(top tier ones) vs other brands.

That being said Walmart sells these awful tires called Long Trails(BF Goodrich). They turned noisy on a very quiet Toyota Tundra with 5k miles. My parents could not take it when they purchased the truck from my sister and replaced with ($$$) Michelin’s that are still nearly slient after 25k miles.

Haha yea I have heard of those before I will look into them today.

Thanks for the tip

You might also want to invest in a very loud exhaust system, just in case some people can’t hear your approach with the noisy tires.

Alternatively, you might want to investigate more socially-acceptable ways of attracting attention.

Yea I had thought of an exhaust tip, but I’m not big into making a small vehicle sound like it is trying to run you off the road. And I don’t have to hit the gas so much in the city, it’s allot of rumbling down 1 way streets with pedestrians coming out of no where.

I have a deer whistle installed, maybe I should hope for the best with that.

Maybe I can try 30" speakers at 1500 watts, that would probably work. I’m just not so sure about the socially acceptable part about that though.

Bob

How about one of those motion detecting frogs, you know the ones that make the frog noises when you walk by them, as a hood ornament? :wink:

Ha, I didn’t even know they made those. Shows I am still in the stone age… Trying to buy noisy tires, and didn’t think of motion detecting frogs.

:slight_smile:

Bob