Looking for diy mechanict o help and learn from

saranac lake ny area help with what ever most needed in exchange for experience and instruction.

Try Craigslist or an ad in the local newspaper.

This might be difficult to do for several reasons.

1. Trying to train someone along the way can be time consuming and cause a job to take much longer than it should.
  2. Not saying you would do this, but there’s the issue of a certain percentage of people walking off with tools.
  3. The liability issue. Say a car falls on your leg while you’re in someone’s driveway or garage. Their insurance may have a dim view of allowing something like this and even dimmer if a claim arises.

I guess it may be feasible for the right person but it’s not something I would ever consider.

Try Craigslist or an ad in the local newspaper.
[/quote]

If the person does place an ad they should pay attention to their writing, and use capital letters where needed. I would discount their willingness to learn other wise.

1 Like

OP, perhaps look at whether your local CTC has adult automotive repair classes, also You Tube has millions of videos showing how to do various automotive repairs

Good ideas above. I think you’d get best results by making copies of your name and address with what you want to do, and take them to all the local auto repair shops. Introduce yourself to the manager there, and give them a copy. You probably won’t get any immediate yes’s, but there’s a pretty good chance you’ll eventually get a call, when one of the shops gets backed up with work and needs parts cleaned, floors swept, tires filled w/air, etc. One thing is certain, if they haven’t met you, don’t know who you are, or what you want to do, they’ll never call you.

I suggest you check if your local community college has some kind of auto mechanics intro class

Or buy an automotive textboook on amazon . . . heck, you could even rent a book for free from your library

How will you know the DIYer knows what he’s doing? You could learn a whole lot of really bad, very dangerous things from someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Eons ago when I was in college I had a prof give us a one-word exam. The question was “who is the author of your textbook and what are his credentials”. He was making a point; know who you’re learning from before accepting what he’s teaching you.

I could teach you to do brain surgery. But I wouldn’t recommend it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

But if it’s free, are you renting? Sorry I had too. :wink:

Thank you for summing up my major concerns.

Believe it or not, I am already aware of these issues. Your thoughts are not original. I would rather not hear from anyone about these issues, unless you are interested in the offer and want share your experience with me on the job. It is not like I have no idea what I am doing.

Thank You

We used to just hang around some of the dads in the neighborhood that were doing work on cars and learned a lot that way. If you can look around to see who is doing work, maybe hang around a little to see if they like the company or not. There could be some dirty jobs like sanding and cleaning that they wouldn’t mind giving to someone else. Most of the back yard types I knew usually had friends or kids around as they worked.

1 Like

Someone who not willing to hear things they do not agree with or think they already know is unteachable.

4 Likes

Yeah I guess I didn’t read that response. Geez what is this, the want ads? If I lived in the area, did DIY work, and wanted someone else around, no need to come in for an interview. File 13. Bad attitude and no fun to have around.

1 Like

Heh, heh, heh. Like we learned in Dale Carnegie-making friends and influencing people.

1 Like

I’m not in your area, but do you need any letters of recommendation?
CSA