Looking for an older car

Once again, valuable information. Not something that came to mind. Many co- workers are in college so I can put that on the board also. Thank you.

I dunno but I sold my Riviera to the cousin of a girl at work for $50. She needed a car to go to work and I had an extra. Sure it had a lot of miles but was a great car. Good tires, fresh detailed, new battery, full tank of gas. Dropped the price from $100 to $50 because it needed a new switch. So might want to start asking around for people that have too many cars. Same thing when our pastor needed a temporary car-a guy donated his extra Subie. Car dealers often get trade in cars that are worth only a few hundred and they just junk them out. They don’t want the space taken up by cars that aren’t going to pay off. So maybe talking with a few dealers if they happen to get one in that is serviceable. Truly this needs to be a non-business deal but maybe consider a job closer or a change in residence. 30 miles is a hefty commute without transportation.

Thank you for sharing. I know something will come my way. I have so many resources. I think it’s just a matter of time. There are a lot there of giving people out there. It’s just been in the right place at the right time. Again thank you very much God bless you.

Maybe you can find a car dealer to sell you a vehicle they are going to send off to auction. That happens with many trade ins as they just don’t want older cars in their used car lots.

The only judgement I pronounced was on abuse of the Social Security Disability system. I only mentioned it because it sounded like you genuinely need help from that program. If my answers were unhelpful, it is because I did not have enough information about you. My question about exercise and Mustangmans advice about a bike were made because we had no idea about your physical condition or the fact that you are exercising to the limits of your ability. The advice would have been good for a couch potato but was totally inappropriate which we could not know until you gave us more information. I thought you wanted advice. Maybe you should have just posted “Where can I get a free car”. Have you met with a SS disability lawyer? most people get turned down unless they have one. Good luck!

1 Like

Donna, Having done some work at non profits that provide vehicles, start your search on the Web.
Just a quick search turned up this one in Arizona,

https://socialinnovationsjournal.org/editions/current-edition/75-disruptive-innovations/2499-shift-the-only-affordable-car-ownership-program-in-arizona

that provide older used cars to people who need a car for work or other specific need, referred by public or private/faith based social service agencies
Generally, the requirements are proof of a job or promise of a job working 30 hours/week or documentation of a specific need.

The cars are typically older donated cars, around 100,000 miles and 10 years old, though there may be exceptions for well maintained cars. Donated cars that don’t meet that criteria or are “expensive to maintain luxury cars” are generally wholesaled off to support the nonprofit.

The cars that are kept are inspected, repaired and “sold” to the recipient on the road for about $3,000 with a warranty and since virtually all recipients have bad credit or no credit, a low interest loan is typically arranged through a local bank, typically 3 years and about $150/month.
The recipient is expected to provide normal maintenance and insurance but if the vehicle becomes undriveable except for neglect or crash during that period, it’s replaced.

And a quick tip, manual shift cars are especially difficult to place so if you’re able to or willing to learn how to drive a stick, let them know and you’ll move up to the top of the list.

Bottom line is that it’s not a “give away”, you have to keep up the payments, insurance, maintenance and drive responsibly or the car will be repossessed and you’ll be stuck with the remaining payments but for those who are responsible, you’ve got a nice affordable, reliable car for 3 years, that’s yours free and clear after it’s paid off and a real good start on a good credit history.

2 Likes

And now, finally, for some practical advice that actually pertains to cars. A person of limited financial means should be looking for the following car:

(1) Less than 110,000 miles, which will give you about 3 years of use, at which time perhaps your finances will be better. Even good cars start to need a lot of repairs at around 140 to 150,000 miles.

(2) Subcompact to reduce the purchase price and the cost of gas.

(3) As young as possible, obviously, but the mileage is more important than the age.

(4) A model that has proven very high mechanical reliability.

Below are the affordable cars that meet those criteria, in order of mechanical quality for the price. (I may have missed some models because I’m only knowledgeable about hatchbacks.)

–Kia Soul: excellent mechanical reliability; may cost a bit more.
–Chevy Sonic (yes, believe it or not, the Chevy Sonic has a higher mechanical reliability rating than the Honda Fit). Cheaper than the Kia Soul and Honda Fit.
–Honda Fit
–Scion xA. There are a surprising number of old Scion xA’s around with mileage under 100,000—possibly because this car became very popular with senior citizens, who drive less. A Scion is a pure-bred Toyota in every way.
–Nissan Versa Note

There are no decent used cars for less than $2500 (private sale). There are decent cars in the $3000 to $6000 range. In your price range you’re going to need to buy from a private party, which will save you a couple of thousand dollars compared to a dealer. There’s nothing wrong with buying from a private party, including Craigslist, as long as you arm yourself with a Consumer Reports checklist for buying a used car AND have the car checked by a reliable mechanic AND you test drive it around town AND on the highway.

I looked on Craigslist and found quite a few decent cars in the $3000 to $5000 range. I’m only allowed to post two links, so here are two Chevy Sonics:

I hope those ideas help you or someone else who needs an affordable, reliable car. Source of my information: Had to replace my car recently and spent at least 100 hours researching reliable hatchbacks and reading reviews.