Looking for a good "midlife crisis car"

Think outside the box. How about a nice 1966 Mercury ParkLane convertible? I’m sure it’s big enough, and you’ll be the first on your block to own one.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1967-Mercury-Parklane-333939.xhtml?actionMethod=find%2Fvehicle%2FvehicleSearchResults.xhtml%3AuShipController.init&conversationId=306745

As others have mentioned, the new Mustang would work, I fit (6’5") and both the V6 and V8 are FAST, and handle well. However, this applies to the 2011 model, so $30k won’t get him a V8. I’ve been seriously considering the V6 because of its performance, good handling, and decent economy.

Has he sat in a Mazdaspeed 3? He might be surprised by the room.

A friend of mine, less tall but chubby went through this crisis. He bought a Miata. great little car, but his back gave out trying to get in and out. He traded it for a…Mazda 3 Speed; lots of room and ZOOM! He’s very happy now. Think of the Mazda 3 Speed as a VW GTI with lower operating cost and twice the reliability.

Well, I’m 6’6" and can easily fit into a Mini Cooper or Mazda2. I’m not sure how the OP’s husband can’t fit into a Mazda3… they aren’t overly spacious, but they aren’t that small…

Dear Gal-
As you can tell, our ideas all all over the map. It really comes down to what kind of a car he has always wanted, but didn’t get. What is it? Once you tell us that, we can be a lot more specific.

a 1970s z car would be just right for him. the seat can be set far enough back, and it breaks down often enough to set him straight on his mid life isses. Plus he is not going to be picking up many shady ladys in one of these old lunkers, so it would sort of cover all the bases. yeah, I am post mid life, and a little salty, but hey, what I lack in subtlety I make up for in directness.

What’s more mid life than a car designed for off road and never used that way…an FJ Cruiser. Several local mid life gents have them, use them as cars and love’m for the style and never realized potential.
Otherwise, my ideal midlife is a Ford Crown Victoria in dark blue with steel rims.
After reading the CR review of the Mustang…that would get my vote too for a test drive !

It sounds like you are encouraging this mid-life crisis. Have you heard of a husband being PW? Whipped I said! Let him flounder until he can speak for himself. Will you choose his car for him? My wife, a good and tough lady, would push me into choosing my own car.