Long mlife of my car

I USUALLY KEEP MY CARS 8 YEARS OR SO 5 TO PAY OFF AND 4 OR SO TO HAVE NO PAYMENTS CAN I EXPECT MY 2006 HYNDAI SONATA TO LAST.IT ALREADY HAD A MANIFOLD INTAKE PROBLEM WHICH THEY FIXED QUICKLY AND FOR FREE…SHALL I KEEP PAYING OR SELL WHAT DO THE SMART GUYS SAY…

If after 8 years you want anything left in value , get something else. If you’re dissatisfied with the car, as many Sonata owners are and want an excuse to get rid of it, get something else. If you’re just talking economics, the car should easily last long enough to make it worth while keeping if well maintained. My son and his wife have an older one they complain about but keep for the economics. Your call…

I’d keep it, your Sonata is highly rated for reliability. 8 years? I bet you can get 12!

thank you i have no complaints… just wanted to make sure it was a car that wasnt going to fall apart after eight years or so i always give my car away to a needy person…i do this because what goes around comes around or so my mommy always said…so thank you and i will keep it

OK I THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD ADVICE I WILL KEEP IT.OF COURSE I WILL BE 82 IN TWELVE YEARS…I SEND YOU A MESSAGE SO YOU WILL KNOW WHO GOES FIRST ME OR THE HYUNDAI…HA HA HA

Keep your car, but TURN OFF YOUR DAMN CAPS LOCK KEY!

Twotone

One repair is not an indication that the car is going to fall apart.

Thanks for turning your CAPLOCK off.

A single repair on an item peripheral to the engine and drivetrains’ internals is not at all an indication of whether a car will hold up for the long term. But long term reliability data is, and that generally goes hand-in-hand with general reputation. The published data and Hyndae’s reputation both suggest that the Sonata is a good bet for the long haul.

If you like the car, I see no reason not to keep it until eventually it becomes old and unreliable. My guess based on the data is that you have many good years left on it.

Eight years? Is that all? My cars are 13 and 14 years old and still going strong. Why give up after only eight years?

Grandma; your Sonata has good genes, and for the amount you drive as a senior, it should give you at least 12-15 years of good service. My mother-in-law is 92 and still drives her 1994 Pontiac.

If you look after it the reliability will remain high throughout its life.

We drive our cars a very long time (up to 19 years) and then give them to relatives’ kids just starting out in life.

I wish you many more years of happy motoring.

needed advice for no.1 not sure of hyndai no.2 at two years old need a manifold intake. was that the only thing or the first of many
this is only my second new car usually i buy cars that are at least 6 to 8 years old no payments that way and only an occasional repair and they do last up to 13 years or so first car 57 chevy nova supersport got that in 1977 so that was 20 years old and it lasted 6 more years then a 10 years old impala lasted another 6 …then a 1970 impala lasted a long time…then new chevy…then the hyndai so as you see i am faithful to my cars…but peoples advice were not to buy a hyndai…except east coast folks…and so i was unsure whether to keep it or not for the longevity factor 60,000 mile guarantee now at 48 and i guess i,ll see usually i ask aaa do they have to tow this brand much.so that something i will do.thanks for your good advice

thank you for your response and I am sorry for my “damn caps lock”

did confucius say that ?? ha ha sounds logical to me thank you for your good advice

patty,

As long as you maintain any car, it is likely to last as long as you want you Sonata to. The drive train is guaranteed for 10 years, and that is the most expensive stuff to fix short of an accident. There is a small probability that your car won’t be as reliable as other Sonatas, but the only way to find out is keep driving.

BTW, typing in all capital letters is considered shouting. I’m sure that you didn’t mean it that way.

hope you can hear me because i want to whisper to you…ha. never new that capitals were impolite…i will look up drive train and the guarantee i didnt know that after the 60.000 mile guarantee that was in place …thank you for your good advice

thank you so much sounds like good advice…so it sounds likd my hyndai and i should grow old and unreliable together …lovely

thank you i am feeling better with each response about the sonata…it isnt just keeping a car for the long term but this brand of car that worries me…although i am a senior i drive like a spring chicken ha and am thrifty and want my moneys worth as far as no payments for at least four years after the cars are paid off.

Since no one else has said it:

Thank you Patty for all the follow-up responses.

So many post here with a problem and we don’t know if we’ve helped because the original poster never comes back.

THANKS TO ALL…NOT ONLY FOR GOOD REASSURING ADVICE…BUT FOR THE FUN I HAD THIS MORNING ANSWERING THE RESPONSES.PATTY

Grandma; many surveys reveal that Hyundai Sonatas and Elantras are some of the best cars on the road today. Hyundai is also rapidly growing in the US market, which means that you will always be able to get parts and service for this vehicle.

Just because it has a funny name, does not mean that it is a weird and hard to service car. A number of my friends, some engineers, others college professors, have bought Hyundais and are very happy with them.