Long crank when starting my 2006 Nissan maxima

I have had long cranks when starting my car for approximately 3 years. I feel this drains my battery and is why I have had to replace it four times now. I don’t think this is normal but dealer tells me it is normal to replace battery that number of times. I think there is something wrong with the car that is causing me to have to change my battery so much. I have litteraly pulled my hair out trying to get an explanation as to what may cause this. Dealer recently got a read that the key may be misalligned and that it is possibly the microchip in the key that needs reprogrammed. They reprogrammed the chips. It started first few times at dealer. We go to restaruant, eat, come back to car and behold its the long crank again! Please help we desperately need some ideas and get nothing from the dealer that we have taken car to on three occassions for this same problem.

I feel this drains my battery and is why I have had to replace it four times now. I don’t think this is normal but dealer tells me it is normal to replace battery that number of times.

NORMAL…Replace the battery 4 times in 3 years is NORMAL…Find a different dealer. That’s a load a crap…I’m still on the original battery on my 05 4runner.

When was the last time the vehicle had a tune-up???

I replace my battery about every four years. It’s time to stop going back to the dealership. You need a second opinion by someone who knows what he is doing.

When you say “long crank,” I think you mean the engine turns over excessively, while you wait for the fuel to ignite. Is this true? This happens, usually in small Japanese cars, when the fuel system takes a moment to pressurize, and it usually only happens when there isn’t much fuel in the tank.

Here is a test you can do:

1. Put the key in the ignition.
  2. Turn the key to the “on” position (but not the “start” position).
  3. Wait 15 seconds.
  4. Listen for the sound of the fuel pump. You might not be able to hear it, but if you do hear it, wait for it to shut off before you do anything else. If you don’t hear it, just wait 15 seconds.
  5. After 15 seconds have passed, or you hear the fuel pump shut off (whichever happens first), start the engine. It should start right up without extended cranking.

If the engine doesn’t start right up without the “long crank,” the issue is probably something other than fuel pressure. If the engine does start right up, the system is probably losing pressure when the car is off. This can sometimes be normal, but it could be caused by a fuel leak. Maybe it is caused by improper installation of a replacement fuel filter?

If you don’t smell any fuel leaking, it might just be something you need to live with, and you can abate this issue by using this technique to start the car every time.

I don’t think this issue is what is ruining your batteries. If the car’s charging system is working properly, extended periods of cranking the engine shouldn’t prematurely wear out your battery. I recommend you change mechanics and have your car’s charging system tested. You might need a new alternator or a new starter, but you need a competent mechanic to take a look first to find out.