Car trouble

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE with 167,000 miles on it. Lately, it has issues starting, sounds like the battery is going so I took it to Auto zone and they tested the battery, starter and alternator and all were good. They suggested that I get a tune up. So I took it to the shop and the mechanic said that a tune up would not fix the problem. The computer could not diagnose the issue. Can you help?

How did Autozone determine that the starter was okay?? Just because its amperage draw is within specs does not mean its okay. If your battery is truly okay, but the engine does not crank, turn over, like it should, I would take a second look at the starter…

What exactly are the starting issues? If the starter is turning the engine slowly, then I’d consider the starter/charging system. If it is cranking fine, but slow to catch. like needing 2 or 3 minutes of cranking instead of firing almost immediately, I’d consider the tune-up or getting the fuel pressure checked.

I have a '88 Toyota Supra, and if it sits overnight, it requires extensive cranking before it fires up. I determined the problem is the fuel pressure check is bad, and the fuel system loses pressure overnight. If I turn on the ignition for a few seconds to re-pressurize the fuel system, but do not start the car, turn it off, and let it sit for a minute, then try to start, it fires right up.

The amperage was ok, I also took it to Tire Kingdom and they could not figure out what was wrong with it. The computer did not get a reading of what was wrong with it.

Come on! Tell us what those “STARTING ISSUES” are. As it is, you haven’t really told us anymore than, “It doesn’t sound as it should.” You can do better than that.

The best description I can give is that I turn the ignition and the car makes a sound like the battery is dead and if I keep turning the key it raves up.

I took it to the dealership today and they stated that the engine spins over and will not start. They changed the CAM Sensor that was leaking but that still did not fix the issue. Now they state that the transmission needs to be removed and clean mating surface due to poor ground connection between them.

You mean it goes “rwwr, rwwr” slowly until it fires up? Or does it go “click, click” and then cranks nice and fast? Sounds like the dealership thinks there is a grounding issue. I would not let them remove the tramsmission without doing some other things first, like cleaning and tightening all the battery, starter, and ground cables.

It used to go click, click about three months ago but now it has gotten to “rwwr, rwwr”. I have taken it to three auto mechanics and no one can give me a straight answer as to what is wrong with it.