List of car myths and false claims

Yes , and he still has not calmed down .

3 Likes

He must be on some GOOD meds.

1 Like

One and the same.

1 Like

I am leaving car related discussions alone as long as they’re on topic. I don’t really like the “alcoholic attitude” digression, either. But thanks for deleting the political comments @Old-Days-Rick and thanks to others who didn’t reply.

2 Likes

Yes, its me, I tried to get into my old account and had no luck, I just do not remember what Email I used. I am not working as a lineman anymore, too many years of too many late nights, all nights, poles hit. I just can’t handle it anymore.

I hadn’t been on here in many years, we were all down with the virus and I was bothering my wife with my dissertations on various topics, and she suggested I go talk to my friends online. I honestly feel when a topic is brought up on here, even though people may not always agree, that we all come away with more knowledge than we had.

Very knowledgeable people on here.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’re no longer a lineman

Hopefully you’re doing some other job which you enjoy

fwiw . . . sometime back, I stopped doing saturday overtime

My body needs those weekends to recover

And I’ve come to realize the weekends are really MY time to relax, visit a museum or even take a pretty lady out to a meal☺

4 Likes

A person only gains knowledge when they give up ideas that are not backed by facts .

5 Likes

I remember the Chevelle I had had 4 drum brakes, not power assisted. The brake pedal was a suggestion rather than a demand.

5 Likes

A couple Augusts ago we had a big lightening storm here in San Jose. Lightening is an uncommon event here. One bolt blew a transformer at the top of a pole serving about 1500 homes. No electricity for three days, food in fridge/freezer getting iffy, no stores have ice. Worse even, many people working from home b/c of Covid, need power for their internet & work computers. Near panic, some calling power company every hour. Finally the line-man from the power company shows up, almost dark, makes his way through dust, debris, tall weeds with a ladder to the pole, and up he climbs. Replaces the transformer fuse, risking the live wires, 30,000+ volts. Electricity returns. As he leaves I say “Thanks, you look pretty tired, would you like to take a rest, have a seat, a nice cold beer? Soda?” He looks at me with tired eyes “Oh, you’ll never know how much I’d like that.” Then he puts his ladder on his truck and drives to the next problem, the next pole.

2 Likes

… lol …

Ladder? Really? Climbing a ladder with a 100lb transformer? Really? I’d like to see that.

George said the lineman only replaced the fuse, not the entire transformer.
We returned from a two week vacation using a rental car (see—making it car related🤪) to find no electricity. Transformer in my backyard failed. Power company sent out a team, they used a block&tackle to lift new one in place.

2 Likes

He said he climbed up there to replace the transformer fuse, no replaced the transformer.

1 Like

They have bucket trucks here but I was wondering how the beer was kept cold?

lol … that’s a good question. Even tho the electricity had been out for 3 days, the freezer, full of frozen stuff, was still cold-ish. I learned from that experience to keep a big block of ice in the freezer during warm summer months in case this eventuality returns.

NO WAY. No lineman would be that stupid and no power company would allow a lineman to do that. If they even tried, they would be fired. Linemen can replace a fuse using a long fiberglass pole while standing on the ground. It’s impressive to see them do that. Also the highest line to ground voltage on any residential line is 19,920 VAC. 7200 and 14,400 are the most common with some at 7970 and one other that I forgot that is between 7200 and 7970.

1 Like

You are probably correct. I didn’t actually see him replace the fuse. But I did see him carry the ladder back to the pole; presumably he had a reason for doing that.

As far as the line voltage, I defer to your expertise. Comparing the personal danger to the line-man, 20 KV vs 30KV seems a bit of a quibble. The fuses are apparently rated in KVA units. He had to call someone (presumably at the electric company) to find which KVA fuse to use.

Hi. I saw this went off topic and came back again…but is back off. Can we please get back to cars? Thanks.

Kinda related. If the power is out you can’t plug your car in. Something like equal to 25 refrigerators according to the hearing, so need a big fuse.

Sometimes it seems like your posts are generated by AI.