"Lifetime" Transmission Fluid (Myth?)

Afterthought - my first BMW was a '97, and at 70k miles, the tranny was starting to shift rather slugishly, with a a spin-up in RPM followed by a harsh jolt as it engaged. Replacement of the fluid resolved this problem. That was 50k miles ago. It still works fine, but I am about to change it again.

I’m looking at a CX-7 maintenance schedule online and it doesn’t show anything about transmission fluid changes. It says to change a certain coolant fluid(FL22) after 10 years then every 5 after that, other type is 4/2. 28months/35k miles is an air filter replacement, but they recommend a 4 month interval for oil changes(severe schedule).

Thanks for all your responses. The BMW forums contain the same responses-- most people say to change it-- some say don’t touch it. I have a Cert. Pre-O warranty to 100k, but I don’t want to wait to 101k. I love the car (fast and fun) and plan to keep it a long time. So, I will change it. Now, should I go to a local transmission shop with a very good reputation who will change the pan & filter for about $350, or the reluctant dealer who wants $550 to just drain & refill (and a big disclaimer)? Thanks again for all your great feedback.

That is marketing for the masses, I suppose next will be lifetime oil, we have all seen the story of the guy that never changes the oil and all is good till 70k, Lifetime warranty kicks out because the lifetime is over I guess. In fact how about lifetime tires, 70k lifetime is over, no warranty. Deceptive practice in my book. Lawyers have written a new definition for lifetime I guess.