Changing Transmission fluid

transmissions
fluids

I have a 2001 325 with 100k miles on it. I dont now believe that the transmission fluid has ever been changed. There is alot of discussion on the bmw “lifetime” transmission fluid, however about 6 months ago, they now recommend changing it at 100k miles.

My question is, is a 100k mileage too late to change the transmission fluid? It seems like a flush is out the question, but is just dropping the pan and draining half the fluid good enough?

So far I have had no problems with my trasmission, but would like to do PM work. and the same question applies to the diff fluid as well.

Thanks for response.

Aqeel

So change it already. What’s the question? It’s time.

A F&F won’t change the filter, but will get MOST of the fluid. Dropping the pan will allow you to change the filter, but only part of the fluid.

Drop the pan, change the filter, and refill with clean fluid. Avoid flushing.

Replace the differential oil, too.

Drop the pan, change the filter, and refill with clean fluid. Avoid flushing. Replace the differential oil, too.

I agree.  You never get 100% fluid change, but unless you know there is a serious problem with the fluid, I believe that the drop with filter change is the best bet.  The flushes, while they may (or may not) change more fluid, they don't replace the filter. 

I will add one additional note.  It is not uncommon for a transmission to fail not long after doing either type of service.  Of course since most people don't service their transmission until it has some sort of a problem, it is usually a case of too little too late.  Servicing a transmission that is not showing any bad signs will only extend its life.

As already stated, fluid & filter change would be OK as long as the transmission is working OK now. A qualified shop can then also make whatever adjustments are needed. Use long life transmission fluid approved by BMW.

Never too late unless the transmission is failing.