Lifespan of the 2019 Subaru Outback engine

Will the 2019 Subaru Boxer 6 cylinder flat engine last as long as the 2019 V-6 in the Honda Passport and Pilot?

We won’t know for a few years.

Maybe, maybe not. Too many variables to consider but both should go over 200K miles with the proper maintenance.

Subies in general have had more problems with oil burning, leaking valve covers, and blown head gaskets, compared to Hondas in general. I can’t speak to the specific engines you cite.

They will both last a very long time, but the Honda engine will do so with less maintenance and repairs.

Proper care is the key and 300,000 miles is easily achieved diligent care and sane driving.

other than blown headgaskets (which did not affect Subaru’s I-6), I have to agree with @shanonia that Subaru will probably burn “some” oil to compare to Honda, but both engines will likely be OK longer than the car itself

And, speaking as someone who owns a 2011 Outback with the 3.6 liter H-6 engine, I disagree on an authoritative basis. When I bought the car in October, 2010, I decided to get a couple of quarts of the correct-spec oil to have on hand… just in case.

8 1/2 years and 95k miles later, one of those 2 qts of oil is still sitting on a shelf in my garage, gathering dust.
:smiley:

The Subaru Boxer 6 should be competitive in longevity to any engine out there. I have owned a 2010 boxer 6 and now drive a 2015 boxer 6. The 2010 used a very little oil between changes, the 2015 at 100,000 miles is not using any oil between changes. I use Mobil 1 that is advertised to be good for 15,000 miles between changes although I change the oil at 7,500 miles. I bring my own oil to the dealer and they put it in when they change the oil instead of the Subaru branded oil. They give me a discount on the oil change because I bring my own oil. I prefer Mobil 1 but it a subjective decision, not really fact based.

Go for the Subaru it is a great car and Subaru stands behind their vehicles. I’ve owned 5 Outbacks so far and every one has been a really good vehicle. If you have a problem get on the phone to Subaru corporate in New Jersey and they make it right.

Now I’m waiting for the 2020 Outback XT Turbo, I hope the turbo is as good as the boxer 6.

Some the “some” in your case was 1 quart in 95K ?
Not shabby at all :slight_smile:

On 5 (five) 4-cylinder ones Subies I used to own, I had from 0.5 to 1 quart burn with 5000 miles oil chainge interval.

My Nissans had zero burn, new Honda is too early to tell, but likely will be zero as well.

So “some” is not “much” really, but it was noticeable

The owner’s manual for my 20 year old Corolla says that you need to check your oil level because it could eventually burn some oil.It doesn’t after all this time.

XT models turbo engines will be a headache I can predict.

1. There hasn’t been a turbo (XT) Outback for the U.S. Market in about a decade. The OP is asking specifically about 2019 models.

2. The turbo 2.5L has proven to be more reliable than the N/A 2.5L in previous models. It doesn’t have the the same propensity for blowing head gaskets.

I think they use different head gaskets. A bud had his replaced under warranty and wanted to upsell him to the turbo head gaskets.

@FoDaddy – Your #2 point is surprising. Is there data on that? Turbos have to have different and stronger parts. It is after all the same size cylinder being force fed on higher pressure. Additionally, turbo components may be failure-prone.

The other problem with Turbo is the lag. Although, I don’t know Subaru.

A cursory google search will tell you all about the chronic head gasket problems that Subaru’s EJ25 (1-5 variants) have. It’s a pretty well known issue at this point. The turbocharged variants of the EJ have a noticeably lower compression ratio (typically 8.2:1 -8.5:1) than the N/A versions (around 10:1), presumably that helps, as it’s rare to hear about a turbocharged EJ blowing a a head gasket. With that said the newer FA20F engine found in newer WRX’s seems to have a problem staying together beyond 300 WHP or so, apparently the stock rods just aren’t up to the task.

That was true 20 or 30 years ago. Today’s turbos are pretty reliable, and with the push towards down-sized engines more and more R&D is being put into them. It’s true that it is another failure point. But stories about failing turbos on stock cars are quite rare these days.

Again 20-30 years ago that might’ve been true, but today we have fast-spooling dual scroll turbos that will hit peak torque below 2000 RPM in some cases and carry that torque upwards of 5000 RPM with no dip at all. Engine management technology has also come a long way, making power delivery nearly seamless.

JMHO, but the life of the engine depends upon how it is being driven and maintained.

Since most people will not admit to abusive driving habits, all claim to practice religious maintenance, and few ever raise the hood to check anything the possibility of problems will exist with any engine.

Again and JMHO, I’ve been into more Subaru engines that I can remember and the big problem with oil consumption is frozen oil control rings. I’ve pried many loose out of their grooves…
This is caused by chronic overheating or overheated engine oil due to not changing it often enough and/or never checking and maintaining the engine oil level on the FULL mark.

1 Like