Subaru engine life

I’m planning to switch from Volvo to Subaru Outback. What engine life can I expect. I’m looking at the 2007 models.

I think we will shoot for 270K. Our 03 (2.5L, 4 cyl engine) is at 135K with no signs of any issues.

Subarus are durable cars if maintained by the book. Have it checked out by a mechanic, and make sure it does not have head gasket or center differential problems.

Depends on maintenance and driving style. 300,000 shouldn’t be an issue if you don’t misuse it.

My extended family(9 subaru’s) averages 200k-300k without engine work.

Just make sure to keep the tires matched in tread wear,size/make/model and the AWD will be fine.

There was higher rate of head gasket failure with the 2.5L 4 cylinder from 1996-2004. Just make sure to buy 2005+ which is a superior Outback/Legacy IMHO to any of the previous generations.

I drove my first Outback (a '97 model) for ~100k miles with no problems.
My brother then drove it for another 50k miles, and had to replace the head gaskets at ~130k.
The car was subsequently passed down to another relative, and at last report, he is still driving it with well over 180k on the odometer, with no new problems.

My second Outback (an '02 6-cylinder model) currently has a little over 105k on the odometer, and the only repair that it has needed over the 8 years that I have owned it was replacement of the bearings in the belt tensioner and the idler pulley.

On Tuesday, I will be picking up my 2011 Outback 3.6R, and expect to drive it for at least 8 years. I would not have bought a third Subaru if I had not had very good experience with the previous two, which were the best cars that I ever owned. And, the previous cars include Dodge, VW, Volvo, Chevrolet, Ford, and Honda. Yes, both Subies were even more reliable and trouble-free than my Honda Accord.

Thanks to all for your feedback and experience. I think I will be making the switch to Subaru. Best,
Ron