License plate reforms

This discussion was created from comments split from: Seeking your ideas: Tips for new posters.

This is Accordionjim–new member. I spend lots of time reviewing cars in other countries, and especially those in Europe. I think we should lobby our states to make LICENSE PLATES like the ones in Europe–wide and vertically-narrow with big numbers and letters. The standard sized plates used in Mexico, the U.S., and Canada make our cars look terrible! They do not blend into the car’s look–especially for states requiring two plates. The front plate always spoils the look and maybe some of the aerodynamics of the car. It is an issue that I have never heard discussed either on CAR TALK or anywhere else. I am waiting for my new VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI to arrive in mid April. If you go to the German VW site, you will see my car (called the Golf Varient). Look at the clean lines of the front license plate on the German model. And if you look at the back of both the German and U.S. models (exactly the same design), there is ample room for a European-style license plate. Anyone else agree with my suggestion?