Lemon Law?

I purchased a 2007 Dodge Caliber in mid June. Less than 6,000 miles later-transmission trouble. The Dodge dealership has had my car for 31 days and to date has replaced the PCM, wiring harness and transmission. I was told this morning my car would be ready to go this afternoon. This afternoon I was told it needs (another) new wiring harness. This is the second time my car has been in the shop for this problem. The first time, the PCM was reflashed. Am I crazy in thinking I should get a new car?

In most states, having the car out of service for 30 days should qualify you for the relief offered by the Lemon Law. The relief varies from a refund of the original purchase price, to a refund minus a fee for the period of time that you used the car, to a new vehicle.

Unless you read the details of the statute in your particular state, you really don’t know what your options might be at this time. Most car manufacturers put the text of the various Lemon Laws in the glove compartment of the car–either with the warranty details or in a separate booklet. If this information is not in your glove compartment, then use good old Google to find the details for your state on the 'net.

Good luck!

Check out

//www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/bbb/lemon_law.jsp

It will tell you what you need to know for the specific laws in your state.

Good Luck