Left Rear Turn Signal Always On

Two years ago I bought a 2013 Kia Rio SX .

Yesterday, the left rear turn signal light (and left mirror light) were always on. When I turn the car off, they’re still always on :frowning: Except yesterday, later while I was stewing, I saw it was off, but later it came back on.)

Last night I disconnected the battery. Thankfully, the light turned off. This morning I reconnected the battery. Woo woo, the lights did not turn on. However, later they did turn on.

This NOT an ordinary Kia Rio. This is the SX model. The top of the Line !! Wife calls it a Luxury car.

1. The turn signals on the right operate normally.
  2. The left front turn signal operates normally. The left rear and mirror lights are always on.
  3. The 4-way flasher are 1 and 2 together - left rear and mirror lights always on.
    I think the main point to be taken is that the left rear and mirror light are ALWAYS ON.

Questions: 1. How do I fix this? 2. Where is the flasher relay?

That is a tough one. I am thinking multi function stalk if applicable. I had one truck if the steering wheel was tilted all the way down the right turn signal would not work. Try changeing the tilt on the steering wheel just for kicks.

Someone has never been in an actual Luxury vehicle :wink:

3 Likes

Power to these lights comes from the body control module, it is located under the left side of the dash.

1 Like

I liked the idea, but, unfortunately, it didn’t help. However, it did make me love my luxurious, top-of-the-line Kia even more. I discovered that the steering wheel tilted ! I didn’t know that. I’m not used to such luxury Not only does it tilt, but you can push it forward and back.

1 Like

Maybe by reading your owners manual you might find other neat features .

3 Likes

You should read your owners manual. That vehicle might contain lots of convenience features you are not aware of. If you subscribe to Hyundai Blue Link, you’d have remote start and a service similar to Onstar.

1 Like

… or he/she could just move to Florida, where a perpetual left turn signal is the norm.
Jerry Seinfeld says that they are signaling “an EVENTUAL left turn”.
:wink:

1 Like

I think it may be required equipment in southeast Florida

1 Like

This brought to mind something I didn’t mention. The blinker light in the instrument panel flashes normally and the normal tick-tick is present.

I am assuming that there is a relay, or is this a fake relay sound?

Space is limited under there. I have spent several hours looking through the manual and on the web looking for a relay. Does the Body Control Module receive power even with the “key” off?

Front and rear turn signal lights are separate outputs from the BCM so it is possible for a malfunctioning BCM to keep one light on.

The indicator light in the cluster is not hard wired, it is switched on via a signal over the BUS communication lines.

The audio is fake.

Much like the “luxury” of a KIA Rio. :rofl:

2 Likes

If I were trying to diagnose this, I would start by finding the ground trace in the left tail light assembly and touching a good ground from the body to that trace. It sounds to me like perhaps the left tail light assembly has lost its ground, and it is grounding through the turn light.

just a thought. i had a mini van a while ago and when you opened the door the turn signal and the light in mirror would go on. i had the same problem you have. it turned out to be the switch (pin) in the door jam would get stuck keeping the signal to stay on. vehicle thought the door was open

It appears that the lights are powered through the BCM from what others have already stated. With that in mind I think you may have a faulty gated switch inside the BCM, so you may have replace the BCM to fix this.

Late response. Your answer was sent to spam.

I wasn’t the “ceiling” light switch. I have no idea what the problem was, but there was a quick and easy 90% solution. To bad finding it wasn’t quick and easy.

The Kia and probably all cars have an individual fuse for almost everything. The retracting motor for the mirror has its own fuse. I simply removed the fuse and the problem disappeared. There is a turn signal light on the mirror. It didn’t affect that. The mirror is adjusted with switches on the door. It didn’t affect that. It just solved the problem except that the mirror doesn’t fold back. I don’t care about that, so it was the perfect solution for me. Didn’t cost any money, just time.

I have no idea why it fixed the lights. Car wiring is the weirdest stuff.

| weekend-warrior
February 27 |

• | - |

just a thought. i had a mini van a while ago and when you opened the door the turn signal and the light in mirror would go on. i had the same problem you have. it turned out to be the switch (pin) in the door jam would get stuck keeping the signal to stay on. vehicle thought the door was open