Left foot braking

You make Sarah Palin cry when you use the word “retarded.”

Check this out:

Right Foot Only
Police driving instructors, seeking ways to reduce the overload, insist that their students brake with only their right foot. The instructors also say that in a panic, some left-foot brakers push both the gas and the brake to the floor; not the optimum technique for a short stop. The other side of the coin is that a vast majority of race car drivers brake with their left foot. The police instructors and I found common ground: Left-foot braking is a legitimate advanced technique, but one that’s far too advanced for the vast majority of Americans.*

I totally dislike riding in a car with a left foot braker. The only one I do it with is my father, constantly on brake and gas at the same time, but at 79 what the heck.

He also is the only person I know who is a left foot braker, and being a mechanic I have gone for test drives with probably a thousand customers over the past 35 years and praticaly none were left foot brakers and I look for that kind of thing on test drives.

It’s only a problem if the driver allows it to be one. I’ve been left foot braking for 43 years and have never gotten my feet mixed up yet no matter what car it’s been in; and there’s been a wide range of vehicles involved.

It would be interesting (and likely will never be known) to see a study on unintended acceleration incidents and find out which foot the drivers are using during braking.
My feeling is that in a panic situation it would be very easy for someone to hook their foot, or the edge of a shoe, underneath the brake pedal.
On occasion I’ve braked with the right and had this very same thing occur and this was not in a panic situation.

If a person does not like left foot braking then thats ok since it is a semi free country. I do think it’s interesting that SOME of those that don’t like it have never tried it or never tried it long enough to get used to it.

Check out this left foot braking video. If you think left foot braking takes time to master, try the left foot brake, followed by heel and toe, then back to left foot brake again.

Wearing a size 13 shoe, I can get away with heel and toe only.