Led light bulbs?

Do the led light bulbs just fit in the stock bases? Do you need anything else? Heavy duty flasher if led bulbs are used in turn signals?

Because they use so much less power, I believe you have to use resisters but the lamp suppliers usually know for sure.

AutoZone web site will guide you provided you tell them what your vehicle is. You did not tell us so the real mechanics on here can’t help.

Theses days, most LED replacement bulbs have circuitry to balance the ohms.
The replacement for a 194 little peanut bulb has…4 LEDs on it and pushes right into the 194 socket.

So, i can just put them into the sockets?

A good discussion of adding a load resistor (turn signals only):

[Note typo: Should say 50W 6 OHM load resistors.]

One of the experts here suggested when switching to LED turn signal light bulbs to switch the flasher unit also, to an LED compatible version. The manufacturer of the LED light bulbs can probably offer info on which flasher units are compatible w/their bulbs.

One point to remember when installing LED bulbs to replace incandescent bulbs is that the LEDs are polarity sensitive. An LED will only conduct in one direction (I’ll intentionally ignore any discussion of zener diodes and such, seeing as how his is a car thread and not an electronics thread). If you install an LED backwards it’ll act just like a burned out incandescent bulb.

If an LED light is being sold as a direct replacement for an incandescent, the maker has already included a resister of proper capacity wired in sequence with the LED. It should work fine if properly inatalled. Be cautious when changing exterior lights like turn signals, taillights, and side marker lights. There are complex regulations specifying the brightness, color, and light distribution from all these lights. Additional lights on the outside of a car can also be illegal.

Thanks

One more thing— A biker friend replaced his tailights with drop-in replacements for the 1157 bulb. The bulb is placed pointed sideways. LED’s are VERY directional and very little light is emitted from the side. His brake lights were very dim with these bulbs. He went back to regular incandescent bulbs for this reason. Manufacturers may have fixed this but be aware if your bulbs are sideways.

Thanks!!!

If an LED light is being sold as a direct replacement for an incandescent, the maker has already included a resister of proper capacity wired in sequence with the LED.

Just curious, what would be the purpose of using an LED then? The power savings and heat savings the LED should provide, that all would be eliminated by the resistor wouldn’t it?

Is the reason to use LED bulbs in cars not b/c of less battery discharge and less heat problems, but simply b/c of the different colors LEDs provide?

I just want to replace the stock incandescent with leds. No colored ones, you are asking for trouble,

An LED also has an extremely long life, so they’re great for anywhere bulbs would be hard to replace, like buried in the center console or an armrest. The variety of colors is an extra.